An idea of mine brewing...
Discuss ideas for tiles or tilesets for the ambitious. Community requests here (no guarantee anyone will build it) and show your WIPs.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist

Christopher
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

An idea of mine brewing...

Post by Christopher »

Don't laugh :p: I want to work on a low-poly project to move from fixing others works to creating my own... So here is a possible directions that I think would be FUN and pretty cool for my kids.

Can you guess...

This should strike closer to home...

Just concept art, but yes the style would be in homage to the late grate...

I said not to Laugh! :whistling I wouldn't have to worry about textures. :rolleyes: It would be a stepping stone for doing something new. Lots of work on curves which is an area I really need to work on.

Comments?

Michael DarkAngel
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Post by Michael DarkAngel »

lol

Sorry had to get it out of my system.

I think it's a great idea. Now all you need to do is get ragnarok to animate some seussian characters, take NWN in a whole new direction.

Brilliant ;)

MDA
MDA
TBotR
"I intend to leave a memory of myself in the minds of others."
Leonardo da Vinci,
disciple of experience

Chandigar

Post by Chandigar »

Hehh heh actually, I like it. You know what else could be really cool? If you actually use textures that look like pen/ink/watercolor with shadows that are drawn as crosshatching etc. You can grab those right from the books even.

I had an idea for a tileset a while back that would be totally black and white with all the textures done with blank ink and hatches. Never got around to it though... but like suburbia, it'll probably keep rolling around in my head until it reaches critical mass then explode...

Go for it!

Christopher

Post by Christopher »

It was super hard to find any pics on the internet. I had to grab them from screen shots inside the books at Amazon. It would seem to be simple, but I have not done anything with curves yet. Hell, other then making those pools in Dwarven Halls I have not made anything. I only move other people's verts right now.

I have a new machine I am building this weekend and then I can start construction. My first baby steps into real work.

Chandigar would you suggest starting with some groups and working my way up to terrains?

Chandigar

Post by Chandigar »

My usual workflow is to start at the bottom. When you're building groups and transition groups, you're going to be using various terrains and transition terrains so you want to have those already done and finalized in a way that you're satisfied with.

Generally, the first tile I build is the plain grass one. Its a no brainer.. 1000x1000 square usually subdivided 4x4 and slap a grass texture on it with a 500x500 uvw.

Then build the 2nd terrain, then build all the transition tiles between the first and second terrain. (straight edge, inside corner, outside corner, opposite)

Once you're totally satisfied with how that works and looks, I usually do crossers next for the same reasons.

TIP1: Try to limit your terrain and crosser types. IE if you have 2 terrains, you need a minimum of 4 transition tiles that you need to build. If you have 3 terrains, your transitions jumps to 24 different tiles. If you have 4 different terrains, you need 73 transition tiles for them to all play nicely.

TIP2: The same goes for crossers. Especially crossers that you want to allow placement at terrain transitions. IE a fence crosser at a 2 terrain transition would require an additional -60- tiles. The count goes up exponentially the more terrains and crossers you want to all play nicely.

Once I can freely paint all the terrains and crossers and everything seems to be working, the last thing I usually make are the groups. Reason? Groups tend to take a lot more effort for a single in-game feature. Most of the time I start pruning my group list as I go (oh yea, try and make a comprehensive list of groups that you'd like to accomplish before you start) and if I suddenly get overwhelmed and the project gets halted, I can still release a fully working tileset at any point but with just a smaller variety of groups.

Hope this helps..

Chandigar

Post by Chandigar »

Oh yea... and go make an investment in yourself and buy a Dr. Seuss book! People visiting my place think I'm just really interested in ancient history based on all the misc bargain history books on my bookshelf.

If only they knew.

Christopher

Post by Christopher »

LOL, I have children. Believe me I have plenty of books to work from. I was not going to call it Dr. Suess tileset. I may have to dodge some legal hurtles, but if it just happens to look similar. ;)

Thanks Chandigar.

Michael DarkAngel
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Wondering?

Post by Michael DarkAngel »

Christopher,

Just wondering if you've had any progress on this set? Any new screenies?

Wondering,

MDA
MDA
TBotR
"I intend to leave a memory of myself in the minds of others."
Leonardo da Vinci,
disciple of experience