Windows Media Player 11 Took over all my .mod files, need help
Discuss ideas for tiles or tilesets for the ambitious. Community requests here (no guarantee anyone will build it) and show your WIPs.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist

Hyperworm

Windows Media Player 11 Took over all my .mod files, need help

Post by Hyperworm »

Hi all. I have been out of it for a few weeks now with the holidays and all so I haven't been around much. I had some free time this weekend so I got ambitious and updated a ton of stuff on the PC including Windows Media Player from 10 to 11. I then started looking for a MOD to DL and play when I noticed that all my previously DL'd MODs had changed file type to mpegs! The little icon had changed and all. I have tried rolling back and uninstalling Media Player 11 all together with no success. Does anyone have any idea how I can get these files changed back. This has also changed all my NWN2 MOD files as well. I have over 1000 of these files, in various places, so I would need a global way of fixing this if one is possible.
This probably isn't the correct place to post this problem but I didn't see a better thread around here for me to post something like this.

OldMansBeard

Post by OldMansBeard »

Don't panic!

All that has happened is that Windoze now thinks the default application for opening .mod files is Media Player. So if you were to double-click on a module in Windows explorer, WMP would launch and then sulk because it wasn't a media file after all.

Even if you do nothing, you can still play the modules in the nwn\modules folder because NWN doesn't care what Windows thinks they are - it knows its own files, thank you very much.

However, you can reset by going into "My Computer", Tools/Folder Options/File Types, scrolling down to find the .mod extension and deleting its association.

I have a similar funny where if I've been messing around with NWN module .ifo files, the system thinks they are Nero Showtime files. But it doesn't matter because I'm never going to try to launch them anyway.

OMB

Hyperworm

Post by Hyperworm »

Thanks OMB! I had just figured that out and finished doing just what you outlined and all is back to normal. The reason I was worried was due to NWN2 kicking me out at the start of a new area load. I was "hoping" it was due to this file type situation but alas it wasn't. It still kicks me out so it looks like I will have to start over again with the new patch they have.
Thanks for the info, OMB.