WIP: Aztec Exterior Redux
Discuss ideas for tiles or tilesets for the ambitious. Community requests here (no guarantee anyone will build it) and show your WIPs.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist

Chandigar
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

WIP: Aztec Exterior Redux

Post by Chandigar »

Heres a couple screenies of the basic terrains... jungle, water, grass and pavers.

Post by Guest »

Wow! I may be easily impressed but wow, breath taking.

Christopher

Post by Christopher »

That is really cool! I love the vines hanging from the trees. Most definately gives a jungel feel. You will likely want several versions so the same tree is not redundent. Thanks for shareing the vista!

Chandigar

Post by Chandigar »

Christopher wrote:That is really cool! I love the vines hanging from the trees. Most definately gives a jungel feel. You will likely want several versions so the same tree is not redundent. Thanks for shareing the vista!
Yea, theres actually 5 versions of the tree but I can see now that the similar vine clustering makes them all look the same. Guess I'll have to tweak that somewhat. I think I need to turn all the shadows off inside there too.

Banshe

Post by Banshe »

Looks great!!!!

One of the hardest parts of working with tilesets is trying to get that cluttered feel in them (like a thick jungle) without killing the pathfinding.

I like how you are experimenting with that on the jungle floor.

I imagine this is why you were asking about polycounts? Hmm?

Post by Guest »

If you are building a thick overgrown jungle and have several small bushes or what might be small trees, is it possible to allow the walkmesh to cover the entire tile even through those bushes and small trees?

I know when I walk through the forest I sometimes bend small trees out of my way and usually don't give bushes a second thought as I walk through them.

Does it or could it work the same in the tileset? Some may complain that they just walked through a tree, but that's where a placeable sound of rustling bushes or breaking twigs would make it seem more real. Just an idea, as I can barely draw stick figures so tileset design work is way out of my league.

Post by Guest »

Top Marks. :eek2:

And thats for just a few WIPs shot. I think we will all pass out from excitement when ya release this beauty. :_thumb:

Chandigar

Post by Chandigar »

Heh heh yea, I think I'm hitting about 850-900 polys per jungle tile right now. Viewing it on my old machine (1.8g, 512r) it bogs down a little bit but I think turning shadows off inside the jungle will alleviate some of the load. If it still doesn't help I'll model the interior trees with less detail, change some of the interior vines etc to 2d maps.

Right now the jungle is going to mirror the Gothic Estates forest in that it'll be essentially solid with a path crosser to allow people some sort of penetrability without letting people run willynilly all over the place.

Yes, you can have the walkmesh anywhere... you can let people walk through/over anything if you want.

Nice to see ya here, Boromir ;) And thanks!

Post by Guest »

Wow... this is awsome!

Chandigar

Post by Chandigar »