Handling grass
This forum is to cover working with set, itp, and 2DAs of tileset custom content.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist

Bannor Bloodfist
ctp: Yes
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Handling grass

Post by Bannor Bloodfist »

To change your grass in any tileset you can do this:

Just add a section, below [General] and above the [Terrains] line like this:

Code: Select all

[GRASS]
Grass=1
Density=3.000
Height=0.800
AmbientRed=0.186
AmbientGreen=0.173
AmbientBlue=0.120
DiffuseRed=0.500
DiffuseGreen=0.600
DiffuseBlue=0.300

[Terrains]
And according to Thrikreen, AKA Brian Chung from Bioware:
You can actually add a GrassTextureName=ttz_grass to the [GRASS] section to redirect what image to use for the grass.

Estelindis
dla: No
TBotR: No

Post by Estelindis »

Re the last point: true! This is how the funky Tropical grass was added. Think of all the possibilities... :thumb:

Christopher
ctp: No
nwnihof: No

Post by Christopher »

I had already added those fields to the .set last week. I have been touching up grass around water sources so we have grass where it makes sense.

I did adj. the color a bit, made it less dense and shorter then average. A texture would be the way to go! :thumb:

Tiberius_Morguhn

Post by Tiberius_Morguhn »

And here I thought someone was posting something along the lines of 'You put your weed in there!' :D

Estelindis

Post by Estelindis »

Okay.... Well, I just took a quick spin with a browny-yellow-tinted ttz grass in Babylon and this is how it looks. I think a unique texture, not just one with the colours altered, might be needed to get a really good look for this set - the quick one below just doesn't do it for me. But hey - at least it works! Yes: with just one alteration to your set file and a custom texture, you too can have grass that is different to the norm! :D

Christopher
ctp: No
nwnihof: No

Post by Christopher »

Go with it! I like it over the R G B I came up with. It was just a sample color from a google pic. :D

Estelindis

Post by Estelindis »

Thank you, Chris! :o I still think we can do better on the grass texture front, though. Check out what a really good one can do, for example in the recently released Toro's Rural Override! http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Te ... ail&id=114

Post by Guest »

What would be really cool, is if someone used it for something other than grass.

Like, you could make a alpha-fading orange texture and use it to make it look like light coming in cracks from volcanic ground.

In fact I'm gonna try that and screenshot it at some point :D

Shame it'd have to be animateable and make the grass sound though. It'd look rubbish when it bent out the way as folks walked through it. Maybe make a ring of non walkeable around it... Hmmn.