Door UTD File?
This forum is to cover working with set, itp, and 2DAs of tileset custom content.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist

coolmac55

Door UTD File?

Post by coolmac55 »

Hello,

More questions.

Could someone explain why UTD files are included in tile set and door haks. Several sets have them but they cause trouble with the palette. Builders don't use them as is. One builder showed me how he does it. He makes basic doors with the required settings, places them, then changes images as needed.

So why the fixed palettes? What am I missing and what should I know?

CoolMac55

OldMansBeard

Post by OldMansBeard »

There can be any number of reasons.

In the case of CTP Generic Doors, the UTD contains the documentation. The models themselves are compiled and compiled models can't contain any comments. So there is a UTD for each model and the UTD comments provide the documentation - mainly attribution of authorship.

coolmac55

Post by coolmac55 »

Thank you, for the replay. That is useful information, and I'm glad to know that. It was new to me.

The CTP generic doors might have been the trigger that got me to post, but it was the tile set UTD files that caused me trouble in the past. There was a question in my mind about that. When I added sets with UTD files into my mod, I lost most of my generic door images even though the tile set UTDs were for doors used in the sets, or door type 2da stuff. That is my real question. Why did those seemingly unrelated doors cause me to lose my generic doors? I was thinking that the UTDs didn't fit into my mod and it bugged other stuff. Taking them out of haks as an experiment fixed the problem.

I did read some time back about UTDs for tile sets that used doors listed in other sets, like standard doors. I did not fully understand the need though. I still have tile set doors if I list them in my 2das properly without the UTD files included.

Still Puzzled,
CoolMac55

OldMansBeard

Post by OldMansBeard »

I'm puzzled too.

Can you give me an example of a tileset package that causes the problem?

coolmac55

Post by coolmac55 »

Hello,

PK_top_v2.2 is one, I tried it with LR's Rocky Mountains. It's his top hak.

I'll have to ask someone to open some compressed files to find the other. I thought I had one more besides DLA sewers that used them. For the sewers, I had to change the set file to add them to my 2das.

Many things don't show up until I'm doing something with them. That's how most issues are found.

Than you, For your help,
CooMac55

Found it; The Barbaric North set

OldMansBeard

Post by OldMansBeard »

Well, I've looked inside PK_top and yes, there are utd's but there's nothing wrong with them that I can see. (LR does know what he is doing ;) )

Is your module very large with many templates? Are you hitting a resource limit?

coolmac55

Post by coolmac55 »

Hello,

Nope, no limits reach, being very efficient is top priority in a mod. That's why all the questions.

Less than 5k resources used, only those things necessary are on the palette. Very few doors, and only generic ones. That is why I'm puzzled, because those haks only have UTDs for door types.

I figured that the builders of those sets knew what they were doing.

Don't spend anymore time on it. It's an issue that is cured by removing UTDs, or not using set with them.

Thank you for your time,
CoolMac55