To Shadow or not to Shadow...
This forum is to cover working with set, itp, and 2DAs of tileset custom content.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist

Dragonessa

Post by Dragonessa »

:D

Another one converted! :angel2:

Welcome to the anti-shadow club Maxam! :thumb:

maxam.maxam
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by maxam.maxam »

Dragonessa wrote::D
Welcome to the anti-shadow club Maxam! :thumb:
LOL - Thanks! :icon_mrgreen:

Six

Post by Six »

maxam.maxam wrote:I've spent the best part of last night getting rid of every last shadow in my tileset
Just, yanno, for future reference... Try using a batch replacer to change "shadow 1" to "shadow 0"?

:thumb:

maxam.maxam

Post by maxam.maxam »

Six wrote:Just, yanno, for future reference... Try using a batch replacer to change "shadow 1" to "shadow 0"?
Sadly I've become quite accustomed to working from gmax files rather than directly from mdl files like you do...

In light of the time this would have saved me, perhaps it's time to re-think my strategy...

Bannor Bloodfist
ctp: Yes
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Post by Bannor Bloodfist »

maxam.maxam wrote:Sadly I've become quite accustomed to working from gmax files rather than directly from mdl files like you do...

In light of the time this would have saved me, perhaps it's time to re-think my strategy...
Well, working from the Gmax files saves you import/export errors, or at least cuts way back on them. CM3 will allow you to auto-turn off EVERY shadow on the exported files, but you would have to re-run it each time if you are working from the source GMax files.

It's sort of a toss up. Shadows DO add flavor to areas, more reality etc. However, if they are broken, they are not so easily corrected.

maxam.maxam

Post by maxam.maxam »

Bannor Bloodfist wrote:CM3 will allow you to auto-turn off EVERY shadow on the exported files, but you would have to re-run it each time if you are working from the source GMax files.
Yeah... there's quite a list of things like this I have to run/run through with my Classic Dungeon before its good to go - something I was hoping to avoid in the new set...
It's sort of a toss up. Shadows DO add flavor to areas, more reality etc. However, if they are broken, they are not so easily corrected.
The shadows I had (and have now removed) were all working fine, some only by the grace of OMB and CM3, but I'm adding cavern terrain, which is really asking for shadow headaches and to not have shadows in one part of the set, but have them in the other, is, well meh...

Borden Ha'elven
Site Admin

Re:

Post by Borden Ha'elven »

The engine doesn't like doorways to cast shadows. It CAN do it, but it appears that you have to double face the object to get the proper shadows to work and that doubles your poly count.
I got by the door shadow problem by putting a black plane into the doorway and setting it to un-rendered & with shadow. only 2 polys.

Bannor Bloodfist
ctp: Yes
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Re: Re:

Post by Bannor Bloodfist »

Borden Ha'elven wrote:
The engine doesn't like doorways to cast shadows. It CAN do it, but it appears that you have to double face the object to get the proper shadows to work and that doubles your poly count.
I got by the door shadow problem by putting a black plane into the doorway and setting it to un-rendered & with shadow. only 2 polys.

The issue with this is that it is not a true door shadow. Your shadow box approach will always cast a shadow, even when door is open, while a proper door shadow will follow the position of the door.
CTP Team Lead