Some advice on using Jlen's set editor tool
This forum is to cover working with set, itp, and 2DAs of tileset custom content.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist

Some advice on using Jlen's set editor tool

Post by Guest »

Question posted on Sunday, 13 February 2005 on BioWares CC Boards

Q: (juleslawrence)
Can someone run through the basic useage of Jlen's Set Editor Tool with me.. So far I've taken two haks- one being Arcopole's tree city and the other being Sumeux's airships, and deposited all the files from each into two separate folders. Now fire up the set editor and open the .set from the airship hak (I've heard that the airships don't combine due to something to do with their numbering, so I'm using them as a base).. then press "import tiles and groups". now I open Acropole's .set file and move all the relevant groups over, save .set, save .itp and stick the entire contents of the, now significantly larger, "airships" folder into another test hak... but the tree city doesn't appear in the toolset- IE- its not on the palette listing.
also- I've tried cutting back all but three tiles in Nexorcist's bellow decks hak- to leave only one single ship interior- how come when I save the .set and .itp any tile I've got left in the hak appears as "badstref" in the toolset- they show up ok but have lost their names.
Can anyone let me know where i'm gonig wrong on this.. cheers.

A: (MacLir)
Ok, here's a step-by-step of how I just did the combination of Acropole's Foret des Ombres v0.2 and Someux's AirShips v1.1.
  1. Extract the 2 haks to 2 separate folders.
  2. Open the ttf01.set file from the Airship hak.
  3. Go to Import Tiles/Groups.
  4. Open Acropole's hak using the 'Open Set File' button directly under the 'Tiles to copy' title.
  5. Check the box beside the words 'Auto Import Terrain/Crosser'. For our purposes this is very important; it _must_ be checked. Single tiles (those not in a group), from the set are currently displayed in the box below the Tile radio.
  6. Import each FDO tile individually, be sure to click 'Oui pour Tout' on each tile so that all files for that tile are pulled in.
  7. Click the Groups radio and import Groups 28-40. Answer 'Oui' to import any duplicate listing and 'Oui pour Tout' for each group; the tiles are different so they will show in the toolset/game.
  8. Up top, click the Groups button, to swap to the Groups screen.
  9. Find the listing for 'Grove01_3x3' (if you want to change this name, type in whatever you wish in the 'Name' text box), there should be a zero listed for the StrRef, select it and delete it.
  10. Click the bold 'Save Change' button.
  11. At this point, if you wish to rename any of the Groups, you may do so by repeating the prior 2 steps; just substituting the Group name for the one you're changing.
  12. Also we need to correct one of the Groups named 'Place', its the one with 2 tiles associated to it. The ttf* tile must be deleted using the 'Delete Tile' button. Then in the tile listing, find FDO01_V30_01, select it, click the '<' button to add it in the group. Finally click the bold 'Save Change' button.
  13. Click the 'Rules' button at the top.
  14. Go to the 'Placed' drop down list box and select Plate-forme.
  15. Go to the 'Adjacent to' drop down list box and select Forest.
  16. Go to the 'Changed for' drop down list box and select Pit.
  17. Rinse and repeat prior three steps to add Plate-forme/Pit/Pit, Plate-forme/Cliff/Cliff, Haute-Foret/Forest/Pit, and Haute-Foret/Pit/Pit.
  18. Save both the .SET and .ITP overwriting the original ttf ones in your Airship hak folder.
  19. Make your new hak by adding the files in the nwhak utility, save it, then attach it to your module.
You now have extra options for your Forest areas, with Airships in 6 other tilesets as well. Image

Q: (juleslawrence)
Actually -noe query, can't your stage 6 be replaced by just copying and pasting al lthe FDO files from one file to the other? Or is there some reason why running everything through the .set editor is needed?

A: (MacLir)
Step 6 is needed unless you hand add all the entries in the .SET file so that the Platform groups/features will work, because they are 'unique' terrain. Your copy and paste method would still need you to go in and re-number each of those entries to be consecutive. The 'Features' and 'Groups' can't work without 'plain' tiles to surround them. If the .SET file isn't modified properly, the toolset doesn't know that the tiles are in the hak.

Bannor Bloodfist
ctp: Yes
dla: Yes
TBotR: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Re: Some advice on using Jlen's set editor tool

Post by Bannor Bloodfist »

There are some special warnings that need to be noticed/handled when using Jlens Set Editor (I use it myself, EXCEPT for building a new .set file).

WARNINGS:

Jlen's Set Editor b085, does NOT recognize changes/additions created from 1.67-->>1.69.

These BUGS include:
1) The ability to change the growing type of grass. (this gets wiped out of the .set file on import/export)
2) 1.67-->1.69 updated pathnodes. ALL lowercase names get converted to uppercase on export/writing of the tileset .SET file. (This wipes out the original pathnode/visibility node data completely.)
3) there are other bits of header data that are lost on import of a 1.67-1.69 type of tileset, but I can't remember exactly what they are. I do know that these extra bits are not always used, but losing anything is a major pain.

You might think that these are minor things, but they can be major for players/builders. Most especially the pathnode/visibility nodes, etc. If you have ever clicked on a section of the visible area in game, and not been able to get there OR had your henchmen get stuck, it is more than likely a pathnode issue. This type of bug can cause serious path finding issues, and serious issues with the visibility in a given area.

Jlen promised to release the source code to the community in his comments on the vault page for this tool, but I have been unable to find it anywhere. Real shame, only a couple bugs, and the Uppercase/Lowercase issue should be a very easy fix. Likely the header data too. If only we had the source code available.
CTP Team Lead

Michael DarkAngel
ctp: No

Post by Michael DarkAngel »

A few years back I did an update to this tool from scratch.
TBotR.net wrote:v2.01.04.4 -- Now Available Jlen's Set Editor is being updated to reflect changes from patch 1.64 on. This is stage one of that update. Yes some things are missing, but this is a BETA.
The download can be found on my website (fourth on the list), discussion can be found here.

And yes, it is still BETA, because I had more plans for it that I have not yet finished. As far as editing the .set file, I believe it is stable.
MDA
TBotR
"I intend to leave a memory of myself in the minds of others."
Leonardo da Vinci,
disciple of experience

Bannor Bloodfist

Well, the problem I have with your set editor is that you completely removed the two key features that I use Jlen's for.

I use Jlen's to search for unused files (any type, texture, mdl, whatever), AND to view/change/adjust texture names. The texture bit is the most used feature for me.

So, without those 3 options, your set_editor is just another of MANY single function utils for nwn.

Looks like you handled the header data for 1.67-1.69 stuff.

I get an immediate error on fist time I attempt to look at any tile, "Update not available while the following terrains are not right" "Bottom Right".

So, 3 things:
1) Can't trust the tile settings with that error.
2) No texture handling at all.
3) No file handling for missing/unused files.

I think I have mentioned these bugs to you in the past.

Since you based this on Jlen's original source, can you not just make that source available to the actual community? That was jlen's intention after all.
CTP Team Lead

Michael DarkAngel
ctp: No

Post by Michael DarkAngel »

Michael DarkAngel wrote:A few years back I did an update to this tool from scratch.
As that statement implies, I do not have JLen's source code. Which also explains why the two features you are talking about are not yet available. They have yet to be programmed into my version.

Now, if by chance, someone who knows C# would like to pick up from where I left off, I would be more than happy to allow them access to my source code. All they need to do is ask.
MDA
TBotR
"I intend to leave a memory of myself in the minds of others."
Leonardo da Vinci,
disciple of experience

Bannor Bloodfist

Sorry, missed the line where you stated you created this from scratch. Oh well, guess it won't ever get done then.
CTP Team Lead