Doors
This is the area for questions and answers for all the "How to?" of model creation.

Moderators: Winterhawk99, Mermut, Bannor Bloodfist

Doors

Post by Guest »

Doors (unedited comments)

A .utd is the normal door entree for the palette. Whenver you create a new door for your custom list it creates a .utd file.
If you look in the nwviewer and in the nwn bif, look at the templates. In there is all the ut files, including the utd for all the standard door models.

As you know, when you create a new tileset most ppl don't touch the .set file for the door NUMBERS (meaning the doortypes).
You should have made a copy of all the other tileset doors and ADDED them into the doortypes.2da. After doing so, use the toolset to create doors using the name specified in the doortypes.2da.

For instance, your (Velmar's) tileset, tvh04. Here is an example of (how I edited) your doortypes.2da:

73 MineDoor1*MD TVH_UDoor_04 TVH04 nw_door_ttr_24 63513 1 1 0

Notice that it's using a door model for your tile. The tvh_udoor_04 and notice the tile it's referenceing is Tvh04 which is your tileset. But notice how it's referenceing a nw_door_ttr_24 resref of another tile.
By creating these ADDED lines from copied doors models and entries you can change that line to a resref of the door YOU CREATE (aka utd file).
For instance you can create a .utd file in your toolset now and give it the resref of nw_door_tvh_01. Now include that utd in your hak, and your door will now appear as it has the correct utd file and the correct lines in the doortypes.2da to appear

The doortypes.2da is a list of all tilesets and their doors and what templates to use for that door including all the TILE doors not the placed doors.
Meaning rural cave exit, fence doors, and castle doors.... you name it

If the model is present and CORRECT you will still get the error for this reason the template used is for another tile and is made for that door.

You need to create a new door for your tile, meaning a new utd file
Easiest way to do this is simple:

First you must make an entry in your doortypes.2da to the correct MODEL and the correct template name aka the resref of the new door your about to create in your palette and a uniqe id in your .set file the tile in need must ALSO source the id of the new door your making.

Then open up the toolset make a generic door set the appearance of the door to generic as the doortypes.2da will change the appearance to the corisponding model in the .2da.

Edit the stats as you think should be used as the template.

Then for the resref put the name you specified in your .2da.
For instance Velmars' dwarfen mines uses tvh04 as his tile naming, so for his resref's I used nw_door_tvh_** where ** is the id of the door that you are creating. I think this can be any number really that you choose, but the template must be for that tileset and must match the needed model as specified in the doortypes.2da and the .set file must use the new id of that door in it's tile.

Otherwise you WILL get errors on the door when selecting it and you WILL get problems.

------------------

To add the the doors to a tileset you must open up doortype.2da and add copy all the custom doors that you are using in your tileset. if you are using Cityexterior you should copy all doors that has TCN as tileset
add all this new lines on a new line 116+
change TCN to your Tileset letters.

now open up the Tileset .Set file and change all Doortypes EX:([TILE395DOOR0])that not have Type=0 to your new line number so if you copy line 40 and put it on line 116 you must change all type=40 to type=116

After that is all done and you will have winter door in the wintertilset and so on.

If you are using Combo tileset you shall only use the Tilename of the .set file to get it work correctly.

Quote: Posted 12/06/02 09:51:25 (GMT) by Velmar
Yes, that works with custom modelled/retex doors, but the error is still there.
I believe I did this in testing two days ago. It's just another model that shows as long as you don't change the resreftype (nw_door_ttr_07).
Also, I'm not sure what the reason behind (doorname)*CN , if there is any.

There is no error on that tileset but it use custom modelled/retex and if you only include one copy of the orignal doors its should solve the orignal ones too. Because it will search in the same catalogue that the tileset is in.(that means the hakpak). and if the doors is not there a error will accure. atleast that the way it should work haven't changed the tiles that misses custom dorrs yet. But all the doors in the wintertileset is no longer return any error.

-----------------

I did some new door work Friday and found Mr. X's tutorial very valuable for the info although I ended up using Scooters to create and export so the steps are a little different (although quite easier than using BW's export tools in my opinion)

A couple of caveats if you wish to use Scooter's tools:

Scooter does a 180 degree rotation on export, keep this in mind when you build anything. I keep a camera centered above the tile/object area with a reverse rotation so I can see how its going to look on export.

Scooter doesn't have the ability to set key frames on the Alpha of the trans object. You can either ignore this step if your door doesn't have any holes in it as the trans object is hidden by the door geometry anyway. If you're creating a doorless transition object or a door with holes in it you can edit the mdl in notepad cutting and pasting the alpha animation snippet.

But anyway, the info is in Mr. X's tutorial.

No such thing as a door dummy as far as function goes. IMO Bioware used the dummies most likely just to get the location to use in the .set file. i.e. if you drop a dummy in, move it to where the center of the bottom of the door is going to be then its easy to read its location of say 120,337,125 and put 1.2, 3,37, 1.25 in the set file.

Than trying to do a by guess estimate.

Either that or it does something that we're not aware of. But as far as we can tell its completely unnecessary. Its the TileXXXDoorX entry in the set file that places the door.

For using standard doors all you need is a the door entry below the tile entry. No 2da editing at all.

2da's are for when you want to add custom doors.