First Celestial Skybox!
Izk The Mad

Post by Izk The Mad »

Had to share another little experiment. This is a CTP sky with an added wall. Thought this might be good for a walled rural town with the hills in the background. It would need day/night versions, of course. I need to darken the wall more, maybe add some shadowing effects from "sunlight".

[IMG]http://www.rpgmodding.com/forums/pictur ... tureid=257[/IMG]

I have been playing with more interior sky ideas, without much success. I've been trying to make a new mdl with a ceiling plane, but I'm still learning how to use NWmax. :rolleyes:

chaos_theocrat

Post by chaos_theocrat »

That wall looks incredible! I almost thought, at first, that it was a tileset's wall, but it is actually part of the skybox image itself. Quite the impressive illusion there... and further proof that skyboxes can do a whole lot *more* for a module than just provide breathtaking skies. Your skills are definitely improving, as the transition in the image between the wall part of it and the backdrop part of it seemed natural and perfectly blended. Thanks for sharing the pic, and keep up the good work! It gets better, and better. :thumb:

Daijin
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by Daijin »

Wow, just wow. :thumb:

Kalindor

Post by Kalindor »

Izk, these are looking better and better. Are you planning on releasing any of your skybox work in the near future? I'd love to incorporate some of it into a multiplayer mod I am making for my friends.

Izk The Mad

Post by Izk The Mad »

Hi all! I love the reactions to that wall sky! It was fiendishly simple to make, but I liked the way it turned out, too. I still think I need to go back and add some shadowing or something, so it's not so... flat. It sounds like it's definitely worth doing the full day/night transitions. :thumb:

@Kalindor, I keep hoping I'll release these someday soon. I'm still tweaking a few, still have a few to make, meanwhile, making horses, as well as a module, and now I seem to be playing with phenotypes for some reason. Lousy ADD. :D

I'm still learning new things, and going back and trying to improve existing skies as I go. And I really need to take the time to learn how to map textures, so I can make a proper interior sky with a ceiling plane, unless I can find a volunteer modeller who's willing to contribute some time... :)

chaos_theocrat

Post by chaos_theocrat »

Don't feel too bad, Izk, I too have been flitting from project to project of late, in between replaying some of the old classic Ultima games. (I've been playing Ultima Underworld 2: Labyrinth of Worlds for the past week or so. I must say, it never gets old!) My current project is a prefab... re-creating Killorn Keep from Ultima Underworld 2. No NPCs, just the keep. Thus far, it looks perfect. I think the Ultima fans in the Nwn community will love it! As for other projects... I've started work on a Ravenloft module that may or may nor work out. It all depends on how carried away I get. I'm trying to incorporate some of the elements from my cancelled Castlevania project into it... so it will either work well or end up more stitched together than Frankenstein's Monster. :D No promises, therefore. However, Killorn Keep is soon to be completed, and I should be releasing that faster than good ol' Chiktikka Fastpaws! I had to say that. Truly, I was compelled. ;)

chaos_theocrat

Nwn Projects Update...

Post by chaos_theocrat »

Well, I've got good news and bad news regarding my Nwn projects.

Firstly, the Good News!
The good news, is that Killorn Keep was successfully completed and released to the Vault, so anyone interested in that prefab can get it.
Secondly, the Bad News...
The bad news, is that in my attempt to merge my Ravenloft module with the remnants of my old Castlevania one, I ended up overwriting the new project with the old, before getting any chance the back up the new one.

I see it as a sign that the Ravenloft/Castlevania merge was just not to be. Therefore, I'll be moving on to other projects that should turn out better. :thumb:

raven280

Released.

Post by raven280 »

[QUOTE=Izk The Mad;12169]Wow, those tilesets are impressive! Could you post a link to the whole set? I'd like to check that out more. See if they ever released a set or not. Or was that pics of someone's module? It would be nice if it was something that upgraded the existing Bioware tilesets. It looks like they apply the floor texture to the ceiling in the tileset. Nice!

.[/QUOTE]

The Alpha version of these were finally released by Hardpoints:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Ha ... il&id=7636

Dorrian
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by Dorrian »

Will CSP be being updated to include some of these wonderful sky boxes that we are seeing posted?

chaos_theocrat

Post by chaos_theocrat »

Ideally yes, you'll be seeing these skies in a future CSP update. However, it all depends. Mostly... when those skyboxes that are being worked on by folks like Izk are completed and released to the Neverwinter Vault, then I can always include them in a future update for the CSP, since the CSP is a compilation of existing created skyboxes. At present, no new skies have been released to the Vault, but given time I think we'll be seeing very nice new ones being created by these very talented people. Time being, really, the main factor... since it takes a lot of time to create new skies and to make sure they do work 100% perfectly, or pretty close thereto in-game.
Plus, for some, creating skyboxes can be an ongoing learning experience so one must always allow for the time it takes to perfect the craft before becoming a master of it, so to speak. Basically, good art cannot be rushed but it can be looked forward to. ;) I hope that helps clarify things a bit.