The City of Arabel
This Forum encompasses reviews and discussions of new games
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Re: The City of Arabel

Post by Winterhawk99 »

The next Sunset Lauriella comes out of her cabin. Jesse is at the wheel. She asks, "How many hours?"

"I'd be say'in bouts 15, Ma'am"

"JAROD, LLOYD, MACK, MY CABIN!"

She goes back in and stands by her desk. Each man comes in, sharply salutes. and takes a seat. Afterward she seats herself, "The mundane stuff first. I'll stay onboard after offload. Everyone else has shore leave and has 24 hours to do as they wish except Jesse, and Norbert. Be ready to upload after whatever goods we can pick up bound for Immersea."

Jacob asks, "We going to try for the gambit with the harbormaster again?"

Mack, "We gave him the opportunity we did. Should'na try twice. it be on him."

Lauriella sighs, "Well I'm trying to get a 3,000 coin rudder paid off that they're asking 5,000 for. 4,000 in dry goods seems a good trade off being the people are starving without fish. And I hate to see people go hungry.

I say we pick up 5 new ton and try again. Not because of the harbormaster but for the people's interest. It's the better thing to do."

Lloyd snorts, "I'm in agreement, Capt. the harbormaster can go munch himself, but the folk need food. Most us be com'in from fishing villages just like Immersea. I be say'in you be on the right track, Ma'am."

"Jacob?"

"Sorry, Mack. Have to agree with Capt, and Lloyd. The people need us. That coin pinching harbormaster is secondary."

Mack throws up his hands. Lauriella nods, "Then its done. Jarod your our negotiator take care of it."

"Aye, Capt."

Lauriella considers both her two mates and ensign before she speaks about the next subject, "Arabel has a lot of problems and a lot of powerful creatures lurking about. I could well perish this time around while on venture.

The Moonflower will go to Alluin. I already have a will set up with fleet. You all can sign on with her. She knows nothing about ships anyway. In that case Jarob sign your papers get your promotion and keep the merchant papers for the various countries. Give Alluin a good profit and most likely she'll and her family will be happy.

If you don't want to sign on, Especially you Jarod. Take the schooner plans and my pension. It will give you a good start. You'll find a good crew to fill in, I'm sure. Mack and Lloyd if you two stay on watch over him. He still has a lot to learn."

Mack comments, “Not your usual pep talk, Lauri. What’s up?”

“My magic is acting strangely. Usually on long voyages my ability to hold spells reduces until I am once again 1rst circle. This is different and seems to only effect my abjurations. They seem not to hold for more than a few minutes then disappear. It may be just a rare thing. I may have been near something that prevents spells from lasting but if this continues it will leave me unprotected. I must find out what it is if that’s the case.”

Lloyd looks at her funny, “Beg’in yer pardon, Capt.? none of us understood all that high talk?”

“Mages cannot wear armor. They need to be able to move and make gestures to build the magic up within them. Armor any armor prevents that to varying degrees. Mages use something vastly different to protect themselves. Magical shields called abjurations. These spells are our armor. If my shields come down in combat, I’m completely unprotected.”

Jarod asks, “What do you think it could be, Capt.?”

Lauri purses her lips and thinks, “Could be a lot of things. It may be my head injury from 20 years ago is progressing. It could be the cloak of magic resistance I wear but most of these types are cloaks are enchanted to ignore abjurations a mage places on themselves. It could be that the time I piloted that cult to the pirate den and temple affected me somehow and that’s what I’m worried about the most.

If I change, I want you to leave me here. If I fall from grace. I walk a thin line with my necromancy anyway. You all know that. I don’t want to hurt any of you if something like that should happen. If I do fall from grace and try to get onboard I want you to……….”

Mack interrupts her, “We ain’t abouts to end you, Capt. Not a soul on this ship will.”

“Mack, it may be something you have to do. It may not be easy. I’m 4th circle now. But 11 against one is no chance for me. That’s an order.”

Lloyd asks, “Maybe it be your goddess, Capt.? You always be say’in she hate necromancy. Maybe she be punishing you for yer art.”

“I’ve always thought of gods and goddess as beings far removed from the lands. We worship and praise them in the hope for a better afterlife. We do as best we can to follow their ways. Some we pray too just to stay away like all sailors do at Umberlee’s shrine.

We, this crew, we are just sailors. We are not great adventurers or rulers of countries. We are not great archmages, or High priests. We are common people going about our lives trying to make it better. Of no import to the greater scheme of things. Why would a higher being even dwell for a moment upon us?”

Jarod Nods, “Wise words, Capt.”

“Well I’m an old bitch even if you don’t think so.”

“Mack, and Lloyd both snicker. Mack mentions, “Still cut a fine figure at yer wheel, Capt. You be our Beauty.”

“Well, thank you Mack. Still not getting my belt off. I’m hoping this is all temporary. Maybe someone was dispelling my shields unnoticed, but I must prepare for the worse.”

Lloyd asks, “Why don’t we split after you pay off the harbormaster and them girls, Capt?”

“I already paid one of the girls a 1,000 in gold coin to help with the guild. So only 500 to pay if I choose to go that way. I will still reserve 5 ton for them when they need it. I’m a member of this new adventuring guild and will give them good rates. You’ll all get your shares still.

“If the harbormaster will not make a deal, I will pay him his blood money out of either our coin we use to buy cargo or my own coin. I haven’t decided yet. I would like to make that deal with him. He would be seen as a hero, but I fear the coin is more important to him. We will see.

Arabel on the other hand needs all the help it can get. I need to stay around awhile.”

Mack raises an eyebrow, “That ain’t be the only reason, Capt. You got your eye on someone or someone’s. We all be know’in you too well by now.”

She smiles, “That’s captain’s purview and nothing the three of you be needing to worry bout.”

Lloyd puts his palm in front of him, “No worries, captain. We know you be lonely with no chance to be with the one you love. But I be tell’in you this. You best we be see’in them before you be gett’in hitched up or being with someone steady. We just want to be mak’in sure they good folk and that you can be lov’in them too. Crew got to approve. That’s Crew’s purview.”

Mack and Jarod both ring out a, “Aye!”

“Enough about me. Mack, we have a job to handle. Jarod and Lloyd get some rest. You’ll be docking us in the morn.”

They stand and salute her. All of them come out of the cabin. Lloyd and Jarod back to their bunks. Mack to be Lauriella’s second for night shift. Lauriella relieves Jesse of the wheel. The Moonflower makes for the port of Westgate.
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

On Monday Lauriella arrives early at the docks and signals the Moonflower. Norbert and Lloyd show up in the tender. She easily hops on and they make their way to the ship. Once on board Lauriella inspects the men and deck and goes to the wheel synchronizing the instruments with Jarob.

Jarob sets her ration once again on the navigators table. She takes a sip. This time she doesn't spit it out. She makes and odd faces and manages to keep it down, "God's damn it, Jarob!"

"What! You wanted cherries, Capt!"

"These are sour red cherries! Not sweet black cherries! What is it with you and sour!"

"Capt! Come on I'm from Unther how do I know the difference between sweet and sour cherries? The men love it."

Lauriella gumbles and turns to her ensign, "Alright then at least they aren't sour green apples that turn to mush at the bottom of the barrel. I'll wheel the day crew for a few hours to make sure they are tip, top and hand it over to you. get some grub and have a rest."

Lauriella commands while Jarob goes on to the galley for some much needed food and rest. The wind is very strong on the coast today. Lauriella has the men trim the sails back and makes way for Saerloon.

The trip is a quiet one. They offload and upload for the trip back. Lauriella giving 24 hours shore leave to all but Dave and Mikey. They work with washing the silk and deck. Afterward, she gives Dave the lead while going to her cabin to work on her logs and ledgers. When done with all her records she sits and stares at the bed. An idea comes to her.

She brings out a new scroll sheet and begins to write.

To the leadership of house Vaylan,

It has come to my attention that the gilded scales company is turning a huge profit on the backs of the Immersea people. Selling dry goods at 5 times or over the standard cost of goods.

Many of Immersea's people are now near coinless and starving. I wish to abate this in any way I may within my power. I am picking up 30 ton dry goods, flour, dried meats, herb butter, jars of pickled vegetables, and other preserved foods on my return trip from Saerloon.

I would like to arrange a one time partnership with the free merchant marines of the sea of fallen stars to help the populace of Immersea in their plight. I cannot stand by and watch the gilded company financially rape the people of your southern shores.

I will sell you the 30 ton dry goods at cost + crew shares forfeiting my own shares upon the promise that you sell these goods to the people of Immersea at fair price markup. I will mark the goods with your house sign. If you are willing send personnel to offload the crates and quietly sell and distribute them to the people of the port city. I will keep the goods upon the Moonflower until I have word of your leadership. If I have no word I will sell said goods at the next port. I have a business to run myself and must feed my crew.

I await your answer,
Lieutenant Lauriella Sithmore, Merchant Marines. Captain of the sloop Moonflower.

After writing the letter she places it into a scroll tube and stamps it with the her seal from the House of Life in Mulhorand. She calls up a spell then burns her personal wizard mark upon the empty center of the seal. Leaving the ship she finds a fast sloop to Immersea that is not of the gilded company and hands him the letter to be delivered to House Vaylan.

Going back to her own ship she checks on her two men and begins to check all the lines when something catches her eye. Hiding she waits as two of her other men bring a rum barrel onboard. They meet Dave and Mikey. The four of them roll it down into one of the forward holds. She thinks to herself, "Those assholes! I should have known."

She fingers the back of her neck. Jax comes out, "Go see where those crooks are going with that barrel, Jax, quietly. Use the ceilings and stay in hiding." Jax flies a short distance then goes down into the holds. Lauriella dances to her cabin quietly and sits at her desk going into a trance to possess her familiar.

Later just before the rest of the crew make their way aboard again. Lauriella does an inspection of the hold while her two crew are occupied rolling bones. she finds its already unsealed and there's a cup there. she dips it in and sips it, "Mangos! Those traitorous bastards! That's alright, I know just how to get them next run."
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

On Saturday night the Moonflower trolls westward toward Immersea. Lauriella hums at the wheel looking at the vast stars. Selune and her consorts are hiding. The stars are as big as ever. It feels magical to her. She looks at Jax. He flies off on patrol. The nigh crew bring out chairs on the deck below just before the witching hour. It is the new moon. The full moon is a time of celebration to Lauriella. The new moon is different. It is a time for friends and reflection. When some of the day crew show up Lauriella works the wheel to get with the current and yells out, “Weigh Anchor!” The men jump to her commands. Lloyd takes the wheel. She goes to her cabin and changes into a common sailors outfit made for women.

When she comes back out, small whiskey barrel under her arm, six of her crew are seated on chairs in the middle of the deck in a circle. Lanterns are out and there’s a table in the center. One chair is left open. She goes down to the main deck and all of them stand. Mack belts out, “Captain On Deck!”

She smiles, “At Ease, gentlemen. It’s new moon. This all there is tonight?”

Mack replies, “Some be needing their rest, Captain. Wind been finicky this day.”

“Understood. Well lets sit and relax.” She places the barrel on the table and sits down the others follow. Jesse uncorks and places a spicket on the barrel. Everyone takes up a glass. Once they are done Lauriella looks to the sky then down in prayer. David and Aegis follow suit. The rest silently sip their whiskey.

When she is finished, she looks up, “First things first. Any problems I be needing to know about?”

David is the first to speak, “Well Lauri, Aegis and me. Well we was wondering when we might be getting round to seeing our families?”

“A fair asking. I’ll give the both of you a choice then. I can make a couple long runs this year to your ports. You can see them then. Or one of you can take a couple, three months leave and sign transit to your ports stay awhile see the kids. But only one can go. When they come back the other can go. Fair as I can do now. Which will it be?”

The two huddle for a few moments when they come out of it Aegis says, “Well I be thinking we take the long sail. See the wives and kids for a might. May even make another. David here agrees, Lauri.”

“I would take the same position. So be it request is acknowledged and excepted. You two have your leaves of absence. Aegis you’re senior you get first leave.”

The rest salute the two men. Lauri looks around, “Any other grievances or problems?”

Jesse blurts out, “I think Norbert been cheating on bones. Think his dice might just be loaded for him.”

Lauri laughs, “That’s something you’ll be having to settle yourself there, Jesse.”

Jarod asks, “We took up a full 30 ton of dry good. That meaning you worked out something with the harbormaster?”

“I sent a letter to house Vaylan giving them the opportunity to undercut the gilded scales. I figure we do this quietly the people of Immersea will benefit. We’ll get no credit. Vaylan will but we cant afford to get on the gilded’s bad side. So, if Vaylan sends a letter back to us when we arrive. We will know their true concern for the people of Immersea, or if coin is the only thing that drives the great house. It’s a question I want answered anyway.” She sips her whiskey waiting for a reply.”

Jacob claps and laughs, “That’s our Captain Lauri, smart as a whip in a great body. The gods do show mercy sometimes. She’ll figure out house Vaylan’s true mettle and stick it up the harbormasters butt at the same time.”

Lauri smiles, “I just want to stop seeing starving people in the streets. People help with a few pieces of game and leave. The gilded scales is taking advantage. The people of Immersea deserve a real break. Doesn’t matter who gets credit. We’ll know we did our part.”

Mack speaks up, “Well said Lauri. We of little import to the greater scheme of things. We still have a part to play. Let us do better than others with that small part.” He raises his glass. Everyone raises theirs and drinks.

Lauri sighs, “May have made a big mistake my friends.”

Mikey looks up, “What be wrong. Lauri?”

“Met a young elven. Needed something. I was needing something too. Wanted to be the one held. So we went to a sacred place and I wore a dress for them.”

Jessie smiles, “Boys our captains on a roll. Was it a man or woman?”

“A man.”

Mickey looks over to Jarob, “You and Norbert each owe me 10 gold coins.”

Lauri rolls her eyes, “I live with such juvenile delinquents.”

Aegis retorts her, “Well then Miss Lauri you just be hav’in to be speaking to the woman raised us.”

“I just did. She agrees.”

Laughter erupts around the table. Everyone raises their glass and drinks including Lauri.

Mack then asks, “So what’s the problem, Lauri?”

“Day before I left, I told him I would be gone 8 days. He got possessive. I ignored it best I could. He doesn’t seem to understand me or sailors. He doesn’t understand I have responsibilities or mouths to feed. He was younger by more than few decades too.”

David replies, “Ha! Our capt’s a cougar too.”

Lauri looks over at him, “I’ve seen your wife David. Would not a be shouting too loud now would you.”

David turns beet red. The others laugh and they drink again. Jarob asks, “Just put on your mage robes and wear your makeup. That will scare the demons out of him.”

Lauri shakes her head, “I don’t wanting to be doing that Jarob. I get too narrowly focused. I could hurt him. I’ll think of something.”

Mikey ask, “Anything going on with your ventures on land?”

“Aye Mikey got an important thing done. Of all the items I collected on land the two most powerful are no more. The first was an evil staff that animated the dead. I want to find a way to destroy it and did through an Oathtaker called Nan. I had to sacrifice something, so I did. A powerful magicked leather coat I took off a pirate captain. I could not use it anyway it was too heavy to make magic gestures with. Could have sold it for 7-8 thousand coin but I figured it had some dark magics about it too. So, I released it.

Jarob stokes his light beard, “Sad you had to give up your most powerful things but I think it for the best. The staff needed destroying and you could na use the overcoat. So was a good thing.”

The other men agree and silently lift their glasses. Lauri smiles oddly knowing the sacrifices were great leaving her with little to put to the schooner. They drink.

The rest of the next few hours they talk of more irrelevant things while playing a forgotten realms form of spades. When finished the day crew goes back to bed. The night crew takes up their positions and lift anchor. Lloyd relinquishes the wheel to Lauriella and she goes back to humming and looking up to the stars in silent reverence an admiration for her goddess.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella goes to Immersea with scroll tube in hand. Inside is a letter from Fleet. She is both elated and devastated. Her emotions running a large gauntlet she feels disoriented. Going into the guilded coin she writes two letters. One to Ava Guild Mistress of the Silver Coin and Scale Dauen of House Vaylan. She then flags her ship. Lloyd and Aegis pick her up in the tender. Inspection is done and the instruments are synchronized. Lauriella mans the wheel while Jarod places a cup of rum on the navigators table.

Picking up the mug she takes a sip and blows it out making a horrible face, "Jarod! Whoever possessed you to put green peppers in the rum!"

Jarod's face turns red, "Captain the alchemist I met said that green peppers were the very best thing to keep the scurvy away."

"That doesn't mean put them in the damn rum! Weigh anchor I need everyone in the galley anyway."

The ship weighs anchor and comes to a stop a mile from the Immersea port. The 11 men file in. Mack puts out some cold cuts, cheese and bread. Lauriella watches them all while they enjoy the quick meal at the head of the table. She notes each one and their lives aboard the Moonflower. When finished She stands up.

She pulls out the letter from the scroll tube, "I have news from fleet. I want each and every one of you to read it." She hands it to Jarod who reads it and passes it along to the others. They show various emotions as they read the significance of it. When the letter comes back to her, she sits back down.

Norbert is the first to speak, "They can't take the ship away from you, Captain. You own it free and clear."

Lauriella looks at him, "That doesn't matter, and you know it."

The youngest member Douglas asks, "I didn't understand that, say again?"

Jarod answers him, "It doesn't matter because it no longer works Douglas. All logs and ledgers are reviewed once a year. coin chests are checked for accuracy. A system developed over five hundred years. A lieutenant gets a 5 share and ensign 3 share. mates 2. A captain gets a 10 share. At most on a long haul a sloop can make 5000 net. short hall 3000. if capt here gets a 10 and me a 5. What's that leave for the rest of the crew.

Lauriella nods, "You can eat or save for your pensions. not both. that's the long and short of it. There are two family men on this crew. the rest are still young enough to go to other ships."

Mack looks over at his captain, "They are screwing you Ma'am at the same time promoting you. We could always go privateer. I say that's what we do."

Lauriella looks into his angry eyes, "They want something from me Mack. I don't know what yet. they would not have done this if they didn't need something. They have been quiet for 5 years on this matter then all of the sudden forcing a promotion on Jarod and me. Captains cannot hold a promotion. We are command promotions as commanders and admirals are. LT's and ensigns can hold them until such time as they feel they are ready.

We will not turn privateer. Everyone one of you has worked hard for me nine years or more. You would loose your pensions. You would loose your ranks. I cant do that to you. I'll have to start to build my schooner design. it will take a year maybe two. During that time I cannot pay you. You are all seasoned men. You are all good men. You would deserve better. I will not have it. I'll assign each one of you a ship if you choose, however.

Jarod will stand beside me to get his lieutenant pin. I am willing to sell him the Moonflower for 40,000. That and my pension should cover the initial cost of the schooner. You'll all be able to sign a new contract with him. Mack especially. We made a deal you would watch over him. I'm putting you in for ensign. You deserve it.

You'll need 6 months at fleet officer school but it will be worth it to you. What do you say Jarod and Mack?"

Ian stand up, "I protest this. We have lived with each other almost a decade. Your my family. A crew this good should stick together no matter what!"

Lauriella purses her lips, "Sit your ass down Ian. I would normally say that too. The problem is the numbers never lie. We can't continue as we are. We would starve to death. It's done. I'm not ready for you to all leave but the winds have changed and I was ill prepared. The schooner is just paper. You can't sail on paper."

Lloyd tweetles his thumbs, "I'm sticking with you captain. I worked shipyard before signing and know a thing or two on building ships. I'll sign on as a foreman with the wright. Make sure he's not shucking you with material or coin. That way you won't be mattering with pay. Siding, Someone's got to keep a look out for our beauty."

Mikey reaches out and grabs his wrist in support. After he does the rest of the crew except Lauri and Jarod do the same.

Lauriella gives him a nod, "Done Lloyd." She stares at Jarod.

Jarod puts his eyes down while speaking, "She's been my home nigh nine years, Captain. I would be honored to take her. I got me 21 in my pension. I'll take a loan out with fleet for the rest. I'll take care of her and love her like you have."

Lauri wipes a tear from her eye, "I know you will Jarod. Well, at least she's fully refitted for you."

Jarod nods, "yea, Capt."

Lauriella looks up, "Anyone else?"

Most have their heads down hiding their watery eyes. No one speaks.

Lauriella continues, "This is our last run together. After the ceremony Jarod takes the the Moonflower with any new crew he needs. Lloyd and I will rent a Catalina back to Immersea. I love you all. Every single one of you. Even that lecherous bastard back there. Yes, I mean you Norbert."

He points to himself and looks confused. Everyone laughs.

Lauri looks over her men with sadness in her eyes, "Dismissed back to your posts or whatever you were doing in your off time." The men file out. Lauri takes the time to go down into the holds. They are filled to the brim with bales of sheep fleece. She makes her way to hold 2 where there is hidden a certain rum barrel. She opens it up and pours a gallon of cinnamon extract and a pound of white pepper. Then stirs it up.

When she comes back to the wheel she questions Jarod, "Fleece? how much and why?"

"Only 15 ton but we can get 2/5 for it in Westgate. They've had a sheep blight in country."

"Ship is going to be riding high. She'll be wonky. Don't want you tipping sails and sinking us before we trade her. I want you to stay at the wheel another half shift. I'll move it while you feel just like we did when you first started. Get a feel for her light."

"Aye Capt!"

Lauri has one hand on the wheel, Jarod two. she makes corrections while he feels what she is doing. The Moonflower makes way to Westgate, Lauriella silently shedding tears along the way.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Later that night Lauriella is at her wheel almost in a trance. She has a mixed feeling of being content at the wheel but at same time her mind wanders on what she must do to get back behind another wheel. She is depressed because she never thought this would happen.

Mack makes his way up to her, "Think it be past time to check the holds and stores, Ma'am?"

"Sorry, Mack. I'm preoccupied."

"No worries, Capt. We all understand."

"Yes well go to it then. Make sure everything is ok. Wind giving me a problem this run, and tackin's hard with her up on the waterline."

"Aye, capt." He gathers the night crew and goes below deck.

Lauriella smiles for the first time since she came onboard. She draws her pocket watch out and opens it noting the time. 10 minutes goes by, Then 20. After twenty minutes the whole of the crew rushes up from the innards of the ship and put their heads over the gunwale.

Lauriella calls out to them, "HEY MACK! WHAT'S THE DEAL? FOUR FOOT WAVES! NOT LIKE ITS STORMING OR EVEN RAINING!"

"MUST HAVE BEEN THEM VEGTABLES I PUT IN THE FOOD CAPT!"

"DAY CREW ISNT SICK!"

"UMMMM! THEY DID NA EAT WITH US!"

"I'M NOT SICK."

"YOUR AN ELF CAPTAIN. PROBABLY GOT MORE TOLANENCE FOR BROWN VEGGIES."

"OH WELL COME ON UP GENTLEMEN AND HAVE SOME RUM. I THINK I LIKE THIS GREEN PEPPER RUM. SHARP TASTE. IF I WERE TO STAY ONBOARD I'D HAVE JAROD BUY THIS ALL THE TIME. THE TASTE GROWS ON YOU."

The crew turn green and put their faces back over the gunwale. She smiles to herself, thinking, 'That was worth it.' Mack gives her the finger for a moment before putting his head over the side of the ship once again.

"POINT TAKEN, MACK!"

"AYE, CAPTAIN!"

Once in Westgate the Moonflower offloads and gets paid for the shipment. The whole of the crew is invited to the ceremony. It's in a tavern that was rented for the event. Only fleet allowed. There are two admirals there, Several commanders and several Captains. The ceremony is short, these being practical people of the sea. The sort of no-nonsense folk that know one slip could spell your doom running a cargo ship. Lauriella receives several new uniforms as does Jarod. She gets her gold wheel pin. He gets his silver. The rest of the night goes to revelry and quiet conversation.

Several of the commanders and the two admirals are interested in Lauriella's past. Almost everyone of them ask her if she speaks Mulhorandi. She becomes very suspicious of what their real intent is. There is a nasty war going on between Mulhorand and Unther. Fleet is not suppose to get involved with any war along the seas they transport.

Finally she asks Admiral Hawkins why the interest in her past Mulhorand relationship? The admiral purses his lips, "Unther has sunk 5 of our big galleons. First time in near 300 years we had someone other than pirates go after our flags. We need you on the southeastern lanes to help calm things down. Maybe even help with some form of treaty or if not we may have to side with Mulhorand and refit for war."

"Admiral, I cant. I have too many obligations in Arabel and Immersea. Besiden. I'll never be second to anyone in fleet. Too many incidents as an ensign. To many violations from higher officers and crewmates."

"That doesn't happen anymore. Strict rules and punishments."

"Those are the exact words when I signed on to fleet, Admiral. Thanks but no thanks."

The admiral frowns, "What are your plans then, Captain Sithmore?"

Lauriella centers herself, "A new style of Schooner. One of my own design. She'll do 14 knots and turn fast as a sloop."

The admiral grunts, "That be a hard thing to do, Captain but seen your records. You got the brains. Least the part you remember. I would still like use that head of yours. How about an advisor position in fleet. We'll send you letters for advice. you give it. there will be some small coin in it. Help you build this thing you got cooking.

"Deal, Admiral. that I can do."

"Alright then. Where's your home port?"

"Immersea."

The admiral shakes his head, That dinky little port. Alright. We'll send the letters to the harbormaster. Sealed and marked."

Late in the night, long after the crew had left a drunk Lauriella and Jarod walk out of the tavern. Lloyd greets them half-way. As they walk to their slip the whole of the crew is there. they give her a salute. She recognizes them.

Jarod is the one that speaks, "We could,na take your ships name away from you, Captain so we changed her. We think it fits and you'll have the Moonflower for your new one. Come on now take a look."

Jarod clasps her shoulder as they make their way to the bow. There's a cloth over the name of the ship. Jesse unties a rope on the slip letting the cloth fall. Lauriella reads the name and as tight as she is in uniform begins to cry. The name on the side of the bow reads 'LAURI'S LUCK'

She buries her head in Jarods chest. The crew all put their hands upon her shoulders and head forming around her to save any embarrassment. She faints there in their arms. They put her to bed in her cabin. The next day they know that Her and Lloyd must gather their things and move it all to the Catalina they rented for the return trip to Immersea.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lloyd comes up on deck with two cups of coffee in his hand. Lauriella has a chair in behind the helm and has her feet up on the small navigators table. He sits beside her and hands her hers. Accepting it she sips on the heavy black substance and looks up, "We're going into rain."

"Aye, nother couple hours it be. I'll take the wheel up, capt. No need you being out here"

"I'll be ok. Just a shock. They moved pretty quick. Wanted me in the southeastern shipping lanes to help with the war. Seems fleet has been pushed into it."

"Can be say'in that all you want to be, Lauri. We that know yer soul knows ye better we do."

"Doesn't matter Lloyd, Been through worse. Besides We of no import to the greater scheme don't matter much. We do change nothin. One evil replaces another. We'll build again. Sail our wares. Make enough to retire. Hopefully a peaceful life."

"Where did that motto come from anyway?"

Lauri smiles, "I think it came from my fustration when I was a young lady."

Lloyd grunts, "A good motto. reminds us of how small we really are, humility. How about this ship? If I'm going to be help to build it should at least see the plans. "

Lauriella sets her cup on the table and goes down to the living quarters stuffed with both their stuff. The ship in its entirety is only 25 ft. Dangerous to be sailing on open water except by seasoned sailors, Both are well seasoned with over a decade of experience a piece. When She comes back up she has blueprints along with pictures she drew up. Lloyd looks them over. First at the picture:

He then studies her plans, "80 ton, I could get a hundred with that much sheet. Three masts. she sits high. could add a foot of width too."

"I want 14 knots at full sail."

Lloyd shakes his head, "Don't be thinking like that, Lauri, You can out maneuver anything with a good enough crew with this rigging. You don't be need'in speed in the water if you got speed in the turn and tack."

"You say'in I'm overprotective, mate!?"

Lloyd just raises his eyebrow. She sighs, "Point taken. No less than 12. What else you be seeing in my sketches?"

"Well, You could belly out the sides of the bow here and here at the waterline. She'll cut faster though the water. may take up an extra half-knot."

"You meant flute out the bow? That will cut cargo space."

Aye it will but we can make that up with that extra foot of width, I be tell'in you bouts."

She studies the drawings nodding, "We can redraw it up together add until we've customized it fully to be as fast as possible while carrying the most cargo. crew I figure two shifts of 8. full crew if in trouble just like the old moonflower."

"May want nine Lauri. especially with a three mast. and she's big enough for crew to each have small cabin instead just being hammocks and trunks."

"and still make a 100 ton?"

"Did I say 100 I be meaning 90."

She elbows him in the shoulder and laughs, "Ok being we'll most likely go back long hauling 5,6 years from now. sure."

He smirks, "See get that mind going of yours and you settle back into yer old self."

She sighs, "More complicated than that. Been at sea all of my remembered life. Sure I got me some answers from before. Mostly bad answers but what the hell Lloyd I am what I am. Don't know if I can take living on land a year, two year."

"You'll do fine, capt. You got me. You got yerself that young man and woman. They'll keep you up and young."

The young man needs a lot of growing up. The young woman is mature way beyond her age. Not sure bout her yet. I have hope. She's accepted all my muted advances but sometimes takes a step back. I'll find out soon. The young man also blabs a lot. I was hoping he would be more subtle and let me bring her in slowly if'in she truly interested. they would be separate but if both decide yes then they should be know'in bout the other. Only right in my eyes. Women are more complicated then men. We'll see in a few days with Selune shines in her full.

"Well think of that, Captain. Our world being turned upside down we should be thinking of happier things."

"What about you Lloyd?"

"Imagine I might just take a look round Immersea. Find my a young wife. Mayhap got another 10 years before hav'in a nice retirement."

"Good plan." Lauriella looks up again. Rain say 20 minutes. we going to fight for the wheel?"

"Tell you what. Roll bones for it? loser mans the wheel."

"Aye" They roll dice for the cabin. Lauriella wins. Lloyd smiles, "Guess that does it then. Get your ass in the cabin, woman!"

"Ha, Who says you can tell your Captain what to do?"

"The dice never lie, ma'am besiden. I been want'in to be say'in that near 12 years."

"Alright, Alright. Thank you Lloyd."

"You'll be need'in much rest as possible for your rendevu anyway, Captain."

Lauri goes down to the cabin for revelry. Lloyd takes the wheel as rain starts to pelt his jacket.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

It happened under the last full moon. Ava and Lauriella met in a secret clearing in the forest behind the Stonehenge just to the south of the city. Ava wore the moon dress Lauriella purchased for her. Lauriella wore her own.

In the small glade Lauriella made a circle of moon lilies and casts a spell on Ava and herself. They danced within the ring for an hour together. in celebration of Sehanine Moonbow until The smoky light of the spell wore off and the gems within the dresses dimmed. There the two women fell to the ground.

They held one another till morning becoming one and exchanging vows of marriage under the great lady's soft light. Afterward they ventured together. for the next day. Ava and her travelled with a large group when attacked by orcs.

Ava fell in combat. Lauri cried over the body. Then picked it up. Ever so slowly making her way back to the Tamora's temple. Lauriella struggled step by painful step until she stood in front of the high priestess body in arms. She paid the fee to resurrect her love. Ava came back to her.

Overjoyed Lauriella kissed her and stroked her chin. Tears flooding her eyes. They went back to the faceless finding a room. Lauriella held her in her arms protectively the rest of the night, promising something like that will never happen again to her new beloved.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

fter staying the night with Ava and making sure she is alright. Lauriella goes down to Immersea to meet Lloyd. There they make the final plans for the Moonflower 2 It will be larger than Lauriella would hope but it will do everything they wanted to do. 12 knots or more in a strong wind. turning and tacking quickly and a load capacity of 100 ton +crew. She knows it will take a year maybe two to complete and as much as 1500 trees in lumber. She posts notices all over immersea and Arabel for a shipwright that will be reserved yet amenable to the new Staysail design.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella takes her quill in hand and several sheets of paper. It is past time for her monthly report to Fleet to keep her status as an officer. Fleet gives each a certain amount of weeks to turn in their status. logs, accounts and other paperwork due to travel time and happenings upon long distance cargo hauls.

She starts her letter to Fleet Headquarters in the city of Velprintalar in Aglarond.

Greetings and well met Commanders and Admirals,

Thank you for my recent promotion you heartless bastards. I had to sell the Moonflower to my lieutenant due to load capacity. I have no logs, accounts or anything at the time dealing with my maritime cargos.

I do have my drawn plan of a new craft of a new design. A schooner that is 156 long 400 ton weight. Which puts her near Galleon class ship with a 100 ton load capacity. She should make 12 knots with a stiff wind. I only now have to find a good shipwright and flounder on land a year or two while she is built.

In the meantime I have gotten married. (Yes the old witch finally got hitched) To a fine young elven by the name of Ava Selakiir. I will be marrying another next full moon a male by the name of Zard Met-Tel Anunduin. Those that know me eat can start eating their hearts out now.

I am living in Immersea at this point working to find a suitable Wright. Most of us pass Immersea up because those of us that can get through the channel to the Wyvernwater consider it not much of a port. There are other reasons not to come to Immersea. The harbormasters family runs the docks in a miserly fashion. Anyone other than Sembians have hefty docking and slip fees. He in fact charged me 5,000 in coin for a 3,000 coin rudder when the moonflower was refitted.

Also the people are tired and suspicious of outsiders. Recently they had a demon in the form of a kraken harvest their people and make undead to attack the town. The demon was stopped but the new mayor. A helmite that seems to be in the pocket of the gilded scale chased several adventurers out of town.

Even so the populace does need help. My ship should cost somewhere around 120,000 in coin and would be a huge benefit to the people of Immersea in jobs and trade. However if no shipwright will contact me in Immersea or Arabel in a month I will rent a Catalina and sail to Suzail where there are proper shipyards to make a ship of this size. It will still take least a year to build however it will be cheaper.

As with Arabel in the north of Immersea I have ventured greatly. There are four major factions fighting for control of the new free city state in various ways.

The first is the Tower of Raubagaush. A coven of wizards some with evil disposition some not. I have not had much contact with the tower and am wary of the stories coming from its depths.

The second faction is the Vigilant Sun. I have not made contact with a single member of this faction.

The third is House Misrim. I would be wary of this house of coin. Their members will blackmail one if they can. One has blackmailed myself for certain proclivities. If any in fleet would deal with them I would make sure to cross my marks most carefully and fully read every detail in every contract.

The last major faction is The Crimson guard and its ally House Vaylan. I have had many dealings with this house. They have treated me with nothing but honor and their dealings with others are fair. I have carried dry goods for them to sell to the people of Immersea. The Gilded had run up their fees 5xs to make a profit on the starving people. The crimson took the 30 ton of goods and sold them at standard prices giving the people respite from their situation.

I believe that the Crimson and House Vaylan will deal fairly with the FMM if any want to make contract with them.

I have joined both the hunters union. a minor faction found all over the sea of fallen stars in various forms and have registered with the Elven Embassy as my right. I have joined no major organizations in Arabel as charter dictates.

As a captain of a ship i know how to act and where every problem is on my ship. As a captain now of rank in the command structure i am unsure of myself. Especially stuck on land. Yes I could sign with a frigate or galleon however i am and will be newly married. Being away from my family for months at a time does not suit. So I will stay this route and build the Moonflower II over the next year or years.

My report is done. In the next report I will adjust my last will and testimony to include my husband and wife.

Captain Lauriella Sithmore.

Ps. I know you're still eating your hearts out.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

There was a huge brawl one day in the Faceless. It all started between the mage that calls himself Queen Bee and an unruly dwarf I didn't know. the fight spread until a hunter and the dark knight of terror got involved. Finally Jo and Lauriella banded together to stop the fight. Jo threw everyone out except me.

Stepping out side a moment I found the brawl was carried out once again on the street. Queen bee was laying in the middle of the platform with Luthor standing over him. The sentinel tried to start fighting again and Luthor put him down once again as queen bee turned himself into one of the giant speicies of honey makers. Finally Ivo took the tied up Sentinel (queen bee) to the tower to be judged and punished.

Jo seemed to be hurt or angry left the premises unattended. I took over the job. closed up the rented rooms and served at the bar so Jo did not loose any income. closing the bar once to go with Grell to help clean up the hullack of the white horde.

Once getting to the masons bridge the unknown hunter from the bar bemired me and all elves. I saw that one of the tiefling twins were there. I took the better part of valor and walked away with discretion. I need no more trouble from those that would not have me in their ranks.

going back and seeing the bar still unattended I opened it back up until the wee hours of the night. after collecting the coin and making sure the books were balanced I put it all in the safe and locked it, up. A strange day and a strange night.
CTP team member