Lauriella's Last Dance.
This Forum encompasses reviews and discussions of new games
Winterhawk99
ctp: Yes
nwnihof: Yes

Re: Lauriella's Last Dance.

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Full of fury, Lauriella comes back to the Moonflower via Tender. Once the small boat is properly roped to the ship she climbs aboard. Most men on her crew being 5 years on a 10-year contract know her moods by now. They stiffly salute while she passes. She recognizes them while stomping down to her private area and cabin. Her lieutenant looks to the men and with a sign calms their prospective. He waits a full hour before going to midship and knocking on her door.

Lauriella opens the door. Cyr sees she is in her working clothes and becomes very cautious, "Ma'am?

“Err! Is nothing Mr. Stafford. I’ll be calling the men to the galley for a meeting in due time.”

“Anything I may help ye with, ma’am?”

“Aye, If I can get done what I be wanting then, yes. We’ll see.”

“Well, I could be debriefed?”

Lauriella steps out of the way. Cyr makes way to the two chairs at her drafting table in the living area of the ship. Most of the furniture is gone except for the reception table and her drafting desk. She being currently renovating the area. He sits down in the chair beside the desk. Lauriella takes two glasses and pours rum into them.

“How’s the work coming?”

“I have all the basic materials for the time device. Having some trouble with what to make the gimbals and connections to the stones and rotor made from a mythal shard. The gimbals they nae can react to magic and the connectors must conduct magic as best possible. On the connectors gold would melt from the speed and friction of the spinning. Copper well the math say something very bad would be happening. When I try doing the math on adamantine or Mithril the results they do nae make sense.

The gimbals another problem what kind of metal is immune to magic. I do na know of one.”

“You’ll get it captain. We trust you.”

“Had to speak to two of the council about the men’s condition being I cannot see them suffer like they do. They all feeling the weight of the instant aging, Cyr. Decided to deal with that first. We can stop the aging then I will be getting more time to make the device, spell and work the experiments till the device perfected. Remember what I doing is all theory after talking with Ivo in Arabel before he die in the White Horde Wars and reading what I could of the Chronomancer from the Netheril college library.”

“Well, we making progress. Anything else?”

“Think I sold the black powder to a group of kobolds with a 50/50 split with Ortuk the pirate. I hated to do it, Cyr but to tell truth I don’t know the situation on these waters. We do'na have the Mulhorandi navy to run too along the shipping lanes and we must need protect ship and men. The deal is I sell the powder to the kobolds. They should show themselves soon. Ortuk gets half and he leave the Moonflower alone.”

“You’re not serious captain? It’s Black Powder!”

“We keep it much longer it will start to sweat. When that happens, we a floating bomb. I cannot abide by it on the ship anymore. I know it not the best decision, but it is what it is. The money all go to the men. When you go back home you’ll be on the great glacier and have to survive that and the Anauroch to boot. You’ll be needing survival gear and other things to be getting you home.”

“You can’t be trusting a pirate; Lauri and you damn well know it.”

“I know. We’ll add extra arms and do some training. We only 20 but I at 7th circle so am no slouch in defending the Moonflower at the moment.”

Cyr purses his lips but nods to her, “It is what it is, captain. I’m sure you made the best you could being our situation.”

“Aye”

Seeing his commander in a more retrospective stance Cyr knows it’s time to figure things out. “Captain why you so angry today? It be time for ship duties. Ye always loved doing ship duties with the men.”

“Damn fat human of an editor decrying our goddess and our faith. I got me an answer for the cretinous reprobate of a blowfish. I tell ye in the galley, but I be having to do somethin first.

“Did a lot this last week a field. We fixed at least temporarily a cities magical protection field, and I helped a mage by the name of Gabriella with something. Met some honorable people and not so honorable people. I’ll do a write up soon. I want all who can work be in the galley at 20:00. Want to talk about this editor. Between now and lunch I be wanting to do something. You relieved Lieutenant.”

Cyr stands up with Lauriella. And salutes her. She recognizes him. She then goes back to her bedroom and retrieves her longbow and a sheaf of arrows. Cyr looks to her questioningly.

“Going to the hold to hunt rats.”

Cyr scratches his head. We been in harbor several months now captain. Any rats on the ship you already kilt.”

“Nae, Cyr. There always rats about, and now I can feel them watching. Got to get every last one. I’ll take duty to the hold and watch the bilge room. They show themselves eventually.”

Cyr shakes his head as his captain walks out of her private area and down into the holds of the ship, “All mages crazy as the nine hells even the one I thought sane.” He goes to continue his own duties for a ship this size needs constant care.

Later that evening Lauriella gathers her men in the galley. All 19 show with Cyr. Some are sitting others standing being that the galley is only meant to hold half the crew at a time. Lauriella starts her speech. How many here have Selune or Sehanine as patron?

A little over half raise their hands. One of the older crew members shouts out, “Not I Captain. You know me. Bast my patron.”

Chuckles go through the crew. Lauriella laughs with them, “I always knew ye was a lecherous bastard Johnny Rea.” More laughter erupts.

“Well crew; There be this editor in Conch that has a taste for baiting our faith. Already wrote once to the rotund walrus. He write back in kind and now every issue of the newspaper he downing our faith. Most likely he think Selunites an easy target.”

She Reads each issue where he either mentions Selenite’s directly or infers to them. The men have a mighty laugh at the second issue. One spouts off, “Man doesn’t know anything about us Seafaring marines or Selunites. We never stoop to privateering and Besiden who the hell would even sanction it here. I can spit over this small sea totally surrounded by one nations. No other nation to get sanction from.”

Lauriella smiles, “I know I be answering that letter on the morrow. But we gon’na do something more than just be writing letters. So listen up this important.”

Lauriella breaths deeply, “I know it not my way to impress. Never done it before. But we gon’na temporarily impress Mr. Morton for a few days and go out on a training mission knocking the barnacles off our bow.

That is if’in I can be pulling it off. We work and haze him a 5 day or a week when we return him maybe have a new appreciation for what us hardworking Selunites do for the community. We stop when he got blisters on his hands and most his stomach on the floor. I got a plan to Westgate his lard ass. Get this perfectly straight. If I can get him on board, and Westgate his ass I want no actual harm coming to the man. I want to be teaching him a lesson not hurt him. I clear on this crew!

The crew cheers and retorts, “Aye! Captain”

John Calandro snickers, “Least it will be giving us something to do that be fun.”

Lauriella smiles mischievously, “Aye first mate, Aye”
CTP team member
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
Chief cook and bottle washer for Harvest Moon

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

When dusk comes Cyr looks about from his post to see nothing of his captain. He maintains his discipline as he was taught and continues to command as the day crew goes midship and the night crew comes on deck for their shift. After an hour he cedes the reigns of the ship to his first mate and goes to the captain’s quarters. Knocking on the door; He hears a voice in soft alto saying, “Come in.”

He enters and walks to the back while observing the whole of his captain’s quarters being slowly refurbished. He sees Lauriella at the back. She is sitting in a chair, crunched up, oddly enough with her bare feet up on the end of the seat. Her arms are around her calves, and she is resting her head on her knees. He takes stock of her.

His captain is displaying the make-up of a lower high-class denizen of Mulhorand. She has kohl around her eyes making her look hawklike and bluish green eye shadow on her lids. The thing he notices more is instead of 3 dots across the extensions of kohl on each side of her brows there are 4 dots. Also, Lauriella is in her silk work shirt, but she is wearing shorts and has no shoes but is in bare feet. He also notices several old files on her draft board. He then looks again at his captain. She is a middle-aged sun elven just past her childbearing years. She is tall for her kind 5’8 and displays the incidental fat of birthing. A birth that ended in tragedy in just a few weeks.

To most humans she still looks in her late 20s and is very comely even if plain for a sun elf. Her eyes have grown more almond shaped as she has aged and the sun beating down on her for 2 centuries has aged her more for a sun elf her age. Yet, as he looks at her bare legs, he can see the compact calves and supply large thighs from standing at the wheel for 12-hour shifts. Her face with her makeup enhances her enticing demeanor.

He finally responds while pulling up a chair from the conference table to sit down and talk to her, “I expected a ship’s captain when I came in. I find a noble’s housewife instead. What bothers you, Lauri? We need our captain.”

“Am I doing the right things, Cyr? Am I making the right plays? We are so deep in a situation which I am not sure we can get out of. We are in a place………….and time I know almost nothing about. I have made plans to impress someone. I have made deals with pirates to protect the ship and crew because I do not want others to know what we truly have. A ship 3,000 years more advanced than anything invented yet. I am near my end of wits on what to do.”

Cyr swivels his chair around and sits down so he is face to face with her, which makes her bring her legs down, so her feet are on firm deck. He knows whatever she wears changes her drastically but also knows that her own self-imposed discipline will do what is proper in any given situation. He then considers her comments. He tries to deflect. “I see you made 8th circle. Soon you will be a Hem Netjer.”

“Hemet Netjer…………Archmage is a title. It can only be bestowed by the High priest of Amon-Ra and the council of the House of Life. I will always be Hem for I fear going to Mulhorand where the very gods of the first humans still proceed in the here and now. There is no pharaoh to mitigate these things.”

“Yet there is always………………”

“STOP IT, CYR! I know what you are doing. I have several centuries over you to know this from that. Answer my question?”

“May I speak freely?”

“Yes, I truly want you too.”

“Selling powder to kobolds isn’t the smartest thing you ever done. I still think this Ortuk is going to backstab you the first chance he gets. As far as impressing someone. It’s been the standard of some navies and merchants since the dawn of time. Never known you to do it because of yer principles. You’ve always had an iron will when it comes to principle or anything else for that matter. Seems you slipping.

Then I think back and see how much you love yer goddess. You never miss the dance, and you never miss a reflection. Not once since I’ve known you all these years. Even if you screw me sentimentalities every time you dance.”

“I’m sorry.”

“I am na done yet, ma’am.” Lauriella frowns and puts her head between her knees. Cyr continues.

“You are a general mage, but you have always studied white necromancy. Necromancy is something both our main goddesses Selune and Sehanine absolutely abhor. Now I know you need must walk a very fine line with this. And I also know from record that after your second awakening you went to study necromancy in Mulhorand. Don’t tell me you haven’t worked with undead in your training. It was Mulhorand you trained and became a citizen of. Not some other country.

Be careful Captain you do not lose your sentimentality and slip into darkness. We want the good captain and good woman you are to lead us. Not some woman with darkness in her soul. Watch for yer soul. We will do this for you, and we understand the reasons why you doing it: For the good name of the goddess. Keep those reasons why in your heart and let us get over this.”

Lauriella keeps her face hidden between her knees giving a slight nod. He knows she’s hiding tears. He looks over to the files and paperwork strewn about her desk, “Should might think about burning those too. It only holds you back.”

The captain looks over at the table where he is looking. “I can't. They are my only connection with my own past, Cyr. Year after year I try to put them together to make some sense of my life. The Mulhorandi and Narfellian files are so redacted. The Cormryian files as so confusing.

For two centuries I know life I have gone up and down the ladder of magic. I get strong then one blow or doing ship duty makes me sink down to 1rst circle. The Mulhorandi council it was the one that said I was of no import to the greater scheme once they examined me when I came back. They said I would most likely never make 4th circle due to the brain damage, yet they still retrained me. Why? And why is it I come here and within less than a year I am 8th circle almost as powerful as a Hem Netjer? I still think I did some great sin and a god or goddess decided to punish me. One that may not exist in this day and time.”

Cyr thinks about what she says and suddenly understands, “That’s why you’re staying because you think you could matter here. You would give up the Silver Coin, Zard, your wife because you think you could help people more. What about Alluin, Lauri. What about her.”

“I’ll never get to touch my true love. She is married to another and has children. I do love Zard and Ava………Christine with all me heart but they have each other. And without me they can have a more traditional relationship without me coming in and out of port every few months or so. They love and deserve one another as much they love me. I let them go not because I do not care or love them. I do. But I think this is me end game. This in the here and now is where I find my cause and myself and mayhap find a restful retirement free from the bondage of this curse or whatever it be.”

“I’m sorry about Ava and Alluin. I know the struggles you go through and somehow Cristine can never be the Ava you loved, and I know you loved her more than Cristine.”

Tears welp up in Lauriella’s eyes, “When Ava died, I made a phantom steed and rode from Arabel to Waterdeep. I was matriarch and had to tell her parents myself. Gave them 50 emeralds. Ava’s mother slapped me for letting her die in battle. She had some very hard words, and she was right. Ava was 100 years younger than I. It should have been me sacrificed my life for hers instead of her for me. I would have too but it just not the way battle goes sometimes. I survived with another scar. Ava she with the goddess now. Watching over us.”

Cyr stands up, “Well tragedy follows you my captain or at least did. Let us change that. Let us curry favor. It the new moon and time for reflection. The crew will be waiting in a few hours for you to come up and hear their words and troubles. You ready?”

Lauriella wipes more tears away. “I cannot have the men seeing me like this. I’ll go clean up and get dressed proper. Could you make up my dreadnaughts?”

Cyr gives her a nod. Lauriella goes to her cabin, washes up and puts a new uniform on. When she comes out, Cry helps her with her hair. The two make to the upper deck together to hear the stories, grips, complaints and achievements on the night of Selune’s Reflection.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella comes on deck with her newest uniform. Her dreadnoughts newly done. It is only 15 minutes before midnight. Her First mate, John Calandro is there. He gets off from his chair and hands her two letters from the University of Nebular via harbormaster. She takes them and observes the mid deck.

all around the middeck ringing the main mast are tables and chairs. Near the forward mast a small bar is set up. The cake that she bought to entice a member of the conch champion to come out of their offices to accept is now crumbles on the cake sheet. She sighs inwardly and tells her self, 'Next time lauri you will find those offices and set Jax to the eves to watch for Mr. Morton.'

She counts the crew members along the deck. Most are her night shift. A few are Cyr's day shift. All in all, 14 members of her crew are there for Selune's reflection, among the lanterns set up to add a peaceful din of light that feels like a cozy tavern. She makes her way down to mid deck. A chair is set up for her and her men move their chairs to hear her words. Someone hands her a mug with whiskey. She sits down and begins.

"Tonight, the new moon. The night of Selune's reflection. I hear all's concerns and after we reflect on our souls, tell tall tales and of our past. Mayhap learn something from each other for the future. I toast to Selune. I toast to my good men. I toast to a profitable future when we may be seeing our families once again."
the men raise their tankards and softly respond, "Aye"

Lauriella not fully settled from her talk with Cyr, responds without enthusiasm, "Concerns?"

Her own first mate stands up, "Ma'am. We been on ship now more than six months. We all understand yer concerns, being the situation we in; but Captain we be needing a break! Things cannot be holding forever. We see shore and town but a few hundred yards from the harbor and many tired of ship duty. We need some time to ourselves. We need shore leave."

Lauri swirls her whiskey around looking for guidance she then looks to John, "I understand the nature of want. I too have been without my wife and husband for as long as we have been here and have not looked to another for small comfort.

I have had to tell at least 2 of the council of magi of our situation. I have also had to tell a few other apprentices of the situation so that they would work with me, both for a cure to your malaise and to get us back home. Everyone knows that if more than two people keep a secret it will eventually become an open secret and in time common knowledge. This is now an open secret, and it is my fault for speaking it. Most will put it off as hearsay or to fantastic to be true. But those that may want to take advantage will listen for truth in our words. they may take advantage.

I give you leave to go to town and do what you must. I expect discipline. I want you to go in threes so that ye may check one another whenever possible. Speak not of yer past or your future aspirations. Speak not of our future. Remember if we speak too much and change the future, we may never have been born in the first place. Those are the stakes, and they are high.

Both sub-crews must do their duties, so you have 11 hours to do what you need in town. I expect you come to duty on time. That is all I have to say."

The men become all smiles and raise their vessels in salute. Lauri raises her glass with them and they drink. "Any other concerns?"

Jonny Rae stands, "That our main concern, Ma'am. We would like you to start off on reflection."

Lauriella opens an old letter. "Don't know if I read this to the current crew or not. I sometimes forget. It has some ways to protest to your superiors about the way they hand you bad news. Now do'na be trying this on me cause I be knowing what you doing. I run this ship for a century and another before that. But if you be having a problem with command this a good way to be doing it."

She reads the letter:

Greetings and well met Commanders and Admirals,

Thank you for my recent promotion you heartless bastards. I had to sell the Moonflower to my lieutenant due to load capacity. I have no logs, accounts or anything at the time dealing with my maritime cargos.

I do have my drawn plan of a new craft of a new design. A schooner that is 156 long 400-ton weight. Which puts her near Galleon class ship with a 100-ton load capacity. She should make 12 knots with a stiff wind. I only now have to find a good shipwright and flounder on land a year or two while she is built.

In the meantime, I have gotten married. (Yes, the old witch finally got hitched) To a fine young elven by the name of Ava Selakiir. I will be marrying another next full moon a male by the name of Zard Met-Tel Anunduin. Those that know me can start eating their hearts out now.

I am living in Immersea at this point working to find a suitable Wright. Most of us pass Immersea up because those of us that can get through the channel to the Wyvernwater consider it not much of a port. There are other reasons not to come to Immersea. The harbormasters family runs the docks in a miserly fashion. Anyone other than Sembians have hefty docking and slip fees. He in fact charged me 5,000 in coin for a 3,000-coin rudder when the moonflower was refitted.

Also, the people are tired and suspicious of outsiders. Recently they had a demon in the form of a kraken harvest their people and make undead to attack the town. The demon was stopped but the new mayor. A helmite that seems to be in the pocket of the gilded scale chased several adventurers out of town.

Even so the populace does need help. My ship should cost somewhere around 120,000 in coin and would be a huge benefit to the people of Immersea in jobs and trade. However, if no shipwright will contact me in Immersea or Arabel in a month I will rent a Catalina and sail to Suzail where there are proper shipyards to make a ship of this size. It will still take least a year to build however it will be cheaper.

As with Arabel in the north of Immersea I have ventured greatly. There are four major factions fighting for control of the new free city state in various ways.

The first is the Tower of Raubagaush. A coven of wizards some with evil disposition some not. I have not had much contact with the tower and am wary of the stories coming from its depths.

The second faction is the Vigilant Sun. I have not made contact with a single member of this faction.
The third is House Misrim. I would be wary of this house of coin. Their members will blackmail one if they can. One has blackmailed myself for certain proclivities. If any in fleet would deal with them I would make sure to cross my marks most carefully and fully read every detail in every contract.

The last major faction is The Crimson guard and its ally House Vaylan. I have had many dealings with this house. They have treated me with nothing but honor and their dealings with others are fair. I have carried dry goods for them to sell to the people of Immersea. The Gilded had run up their fees 5xs to make a profit on the starving people. The crimson took the 30 ton of goods and sold them at standard prices giving the people respite from their situation.

I believe that the Crimson and House Vaylan will deal fairly with the Mulhorandi Merchant Marines if any want to make contract with them.

I have joined both the hunter’s union. a minor faction found all over the sea of fallen stars in various forms and have registered with the Elven Embassy as my right. I have joined no major organizations in Arabel as charter dictates.

As a captain of a ship i know how to act and where every problem is on my ship. As a captain now of rank in the command structure i am unsure of myself. Especially stuck on land. Yes, I could sign with a frigate or galleon however i am and will be newly married. Being away from my family for months at a time does not suit. So I will stay this route and build the Moonflower II over the next year or years.

My report is done. In the next report I will adjust my last will and testimony to include my husband and wife.

Captain Lauriella Sithmore.

Ps. I know you're still eating your hearts out.

Lauri smiles when she is finished, "Back then I was still young and sought after. I used my new marriage to make me point that I was not in favor of what they done to me. They stranded me in port for near a year and when my deal with the Sembian's collapse and the war for independence went south I took my husband and left for Thresk. Thus I built this ship. Ava me wife died in the wars. There was nothing left for me in Immersea. When the ship sails all debts are paid no regrets. That is except for loosing Ava who I loved near as much as Alluin."

One of Cyr's crew stands after Lauri is finished, "Aye captain a good tale and one I never heard. Tis good to make your complaint known is such a way being you high ups do it the way ye do. Still did not change things did it?"
Lauriella nodes to him, "We are of no import to the greater scheme"

The men and Lauri raise their tankards and toast.

Lauri continues, "I have made me mistakes throughout me life. Lost loved ones, been scared, we all have. We the merchant marines have a hard but honest life. Stay true to yerselves. Remember that every one of the crew depends on every other to survive to retirement. We do this together. We do this as a team so we may retire in comfort and let the world do what it do. This not my nature I always want to help those that disadvantage as I did each of you. You have a good life now instead of being stabbed in some back ally in some dock district where I picked you up as crew. I care for you as I would care for any son. And I would die for each and every one of you. Remember this."

Most of the crew smile. Some murmur under their breath, "We know, Captain."

Lauriella looks to Jonny Rea, "Well you one of our most outspoken Jonny, Lets here a story?"

Jonny smiles, "Aye, Capt. I'll tell you a tale from my homeland bout a fairy and an Ogre."

The night ensues in the folktale of various lands and the memories of the Moonflower's crew.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella goes up on deck and calls for Cyr as Hu Shang takes the tender back to shore. He looks at the Shou and back to her, questioningly then walks over, “Yes, Captain?”

“My office. We have some things to discuss.”

“I’m setting up for you?”

“I know we have a few hours. Besiden, I always need help with these dreadnaughts. This time I want you to cut them off. Going short for a while.”

“Want me to shave your head?”

“I really do hate that custom. No. Just short. I think I need to do what I need to do in full tree of life regalia.”

“We really hate it when you go necromancer.”

“I’m still a hemt (priestess) of the Tree of Life (mage guild) even if I have not registered in the here and now and know how to act. Besiden most would here would not know the differences. Just in case I’ll need to wear the proper headdress.”

They walk downstairs to her private study and sit at the bar. Lauriella pours him a whiskey and herself. She sits down on a stool. Cyr takes some sharp scissors and starts to undue and cut her hair. “How much?”

“Just enough to hide it under me headdress.”

“What’s up, Capt? He didn’t get you in a dress, did he?”

“Who?! Hu Shang? Not on your life. He’s samurai. I wanted his advice on something. So, I gave him a few drinks and we talked. We found out a few things about each other. I haven’t seen no paladins around to confer to and would not take the latest to a priest or priestess.”

“OK, This, sounds serious.”

Lauriella clinches her jaw, “Aye, tis. We destroyed another nest 2of 6. When we come back the arcanist that is our guide said something and I noticed it. She like a lieutenant in the guard probably a fellow or something. Sleazy thing. Gave me a bad taste in me mouth. Anyway, I challenged her on what she said. She pushed me into the shadows……….so once again I have to be a paranoid wreck.”

“What is it with you Sithmores?”

“From the record, me whole family disavowed me grandfather. I read about him; I did. I did not like what I read. I even tried to change me name when I married still shadow follow me. Now, I worry somehow the curse be back. I bang me head and puff all I achieve goes with the north wind again.

I must get you to write a letter. My script too well known at the university and cannot write hieroglyphs since I’m most likely the only Mulhorandi in the university. I also be needing cover.”

“What exactly are you doing?”

“Cannot say. Call it guard duty. The arcanist name is Cassandra. She me contact. I have to write out reports directly to her.”

He cuts off another dreadnaught after unwinding it. “That’s why you wanted to talk to the Samurai. Whatever you’re doing: You think it may stain your soul.”

She nods and wipes a tear from her eye, “Aye, you getting to know me too well, lieutenant. Time to trade up.”

“Not until you get us home, ma’am. We holding you to it. Until then you stuck with me. Besides you’ll never be able to trade up, only down. So, what’s the play?”

“Cassandra…….That a Chessentian name is it not?”

“Yes, we both speak the language.”

“Here is what I figure. I go to the stocks in Sullivan. Buy a girl. When we get to the ship, we free her and offer to train her back to being a woman again. She be a cabin girl for us if she take the job. Standard fair she get ½ share or ½ wages when in port. Meanwhile she will be cover for me. Pick up letters from her Auntie Cassandra and send them via harbormaster or better yet the inn that way the moonflower she not be connected to this if it go south.”

“What if the girl doesn’t accept?”

“Her choice. She walk with her papers, but I usually know how to pick them sensible enough to understand they cannot make it alone just yet. We buy another girl. Meanwhile, you write the reports and give them to her, so my writing not recognized, and she pass them along to the harbormaster to send to the university.”

“How long you think this be taking, Capt?”

“Three or four months until the rat problem solved. Then I can be concentrating on the time problems.”

“And after?”

“Think I should offer her a 5-year contract if she do well. It a simple task but dangerous still the same she have to be able to be quiet and not talk to any landlubbers. Then I can be teaching her more properly to become a well-adjusted adult.”

“I love the idea, Captain. You get to save another one.”

“It really what I do best. Of all the things I learned since me injury. Of all the magic power I learned the thing I most proud of is turning sorry stories into fine men and women humble in their work and happy in their lives.”

“And maybe she can get you into a dress.”

“Oh, stop it! Cyr! You know I don’t be fraternizing with the crew. Besiden, the only woman can get me in a dress is me wife……..and Alluin.”

Cyr finishes her hair. They go into the bedroom to her writing desk. Cyr sits down and brings out pen and paper. Lauriella dictates.

Dear Auntie Cassandra

It is Elenuta. Do you remember me? I’m your niece, Chariton’s daughter. I rushed to Netheril from Heptios. I was just starting my magic training when father disappeared. Bandits lay claim to him and want a ransom. You know that the men of Heptios would never pay ransom for him. I divined his whereabouts somewhere in the Netheril empire. As I travelled here I, myself was beset upon by bandits. I escaped but had to leave all my belongings.

I now work in the dockyards of Southbank until I have enough money to hunt for father. I use my magic to lift boxes and put in their ships. When I have enough coin, I will be able to find father and help him escape his captures. Please do not come to Southbank. My situation may be a bit dreadful at the moment, but I want to accomplish this on my own.

I have already divined 4 possible places he could be using the hair I pulled from his pillow. Soon I will find him and seek your guidance in how to free him. I can cast dimension door now. But have read much in the halls of the syndicate. If a finder’s stone could be sent to me with a gate scroll. I could sneak into the bandit camp once I found him, and we could gate to you. It is a thought. I am not sure the spell will work with my limited abilities. What else may I do when I find Daddy to keep him safe and bring him home?

I am sleeping on various ships now, but you can send me letters at the inn in Southbank. Please let me know I’m doing the right thing.

Your loving niece
Elenuta

Cyr finishes the letter. Lauriella takes it and seals it with wax, “After I dance tonight you have shore leave to do what you have to do. Afterward, pay a whore to deliver the letter to the harbormaster and make sure she gives it to him.”

“Aye, Capt. Just remember these things almost never work out for you.”

Lauriella sighs and looks up as if viewing the stars, “I know Cyr, I know. Let us try to get done with this business and try to save a girl. It will be the one good thing we can reap for this.”

He puts the letter in his overcoat and goes upstairs. Lauriella left alone looks in the mirror, “Tonight is going to be hard goddess. I be fenced in once again into doing things I no like or want. I have a hard duty and donna know if it is right or wrong. Seems wrong to me this time. I hope saving a girl from a life of torment makes up for it if it wrong.”

She dresses in her Moon dress and picks up a basket of flowers. Her entire countenance once again changes. She thinks of happier days and happier things. At midnight the Moonflower II lights up with fairy lights and phantom stars surrounding it. A visage of and elven maiden in a magnificent dress dances along the deck: Trails of ectoplasmic energy trailing behind her fingertips and toes.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella is eating her dinner this morning at her conference table when Cyr appears with his breakfast. He sits down to her right looks at his food, mumbles, gets back up and ladles himself some rum from Lauri's private stock. She looks up amused while breaking her lobster tail in half, "I know getting sick of crab and lobster meself, Cyr."

"How much you give the cook for food expense, Capt?"

"I guess he thinks not enough."

"I think he's pinching."

"Probably is. Long as it's tallied in coppers and silver, I'll overlook it. Men will start complaining soon anyway and he'll have to stop of his own accord before he get thrown overboard."

He hands her a rolled set of papers. "Newspaper, Lauri."

"Thank ye, Cyr. How Elenuta doing? Hazing begin yet?" She asks as she pushes the lobster away, unrolls the paper and lights her pipe.

Cyr looks at her but doesn't say anything."

"That would be a yes. Tell the boys to go easy on her. She been a slave all her life and this new to her. Hope she understand it all meant to become part of the family as a whole. And of course, you be knowing nothing as usual."

Cyr just stares a moment before speaking, "I don't know anything, Capt."

"I hope she short sheets everyone's bed. Us girls got to stick together."

Cyr chuckles, that would stop em dead in their tracks."

"If'in she did I would be proud of her. Will show me she's got more to her than menial tasks."

"Did you ask her patron?"

Lauri looks up, "I usually do but did not want to be scaring her too bad. Went over the most important things. Her tasks as a cabin girl, her pay both as a cabin girl and as to the mission at hand. That reminds me. She is not ready to be out on her own and needs to go to town to do her duty. I want you to chaperon her. No uniforms. Want you to support her while she walking around shopping and such before and after she does drop offs and pickups. Treat her like a friend and watch for others watching the two of you. Hold her hand like you two just married or something but not too forward with her. I don't know if she been abused or not. Probably abused a lot. Remember that.

If she turns out evil or find out she have an evil patron I will not be extending her contract. Will still teach her how to be out in the world, and her numbers and letters until then. I will not abandoned her when she need us. But the months it take to finish the rat problem should be time enough to get her on her feet." She looks back down at the paper.

"You going to be teaching her hieroglyphics first?"

"I teach her common first. She no longer in Mulhorand. She here and must be needing the common writing first. By the way she have a belt and key. You suspect she have it off on board you talk to me. Do'na check yourself. If you think any of the men try to get it off by seduction or force: Make sure it that way before disciplining them. and talk to me after. I have a long talking to with them and they know they do'na wanting me talking to them about things like that."

"I do not think we'll have that problem, Lauri. You have no problems, and we got ourselves damn good men."

"I have no problems cause they think of me as their mother. Elenuta different. Just being here is like bait to the men. Just keep an eye out. I know human men all too well on these things."

"Aye, Capt. will do."

Lauriella suddenly throws the paper on the table, angry. "What is it, ma'am?!"

"Damn editor must come back from his vacation."

"Should I get the ship ready to sail?"

Lauriella closes her eyes and calms herself. She takes more than a minute to do so before speaking again, "No, Cyr, No. I have to lessen my profile while working undercover. I cannot say or do anything that would put me in the spotlight. I'll complete the mission with the university then deal with Mr. Morton. We get him aboard he'll have a hazing like no other.

She spits on the floor, "Will you look at this, ' Being the rugged, salt-of-the-earth gentleman I am, I spent some time volunteering in the fields and orchards of the Creek Farms. I was picking apricots in an orchard at one point, stripped to my muscular waist naturally.' You telling me a man that sits at a damn desk all day eating dough balls would have a muscular waist!"

Cyr tries to hold back a laugh but can't and breaks out tears in his eyes, "I know what you going to do already."

She looks back up at him most innocently, Well Those sail pulleys do need to be changes what they weigh? 150 pounds or so? Let’s see him change a few of them out hanging 50ft in the air at the top of a mast with the ship swinging in a cross tide. After all, it’s part of the job."

"Just make sure he has a harness on, ma'am."

"Will have to buy a cattle harness for this one, methinks."

Oh, my. I really do think this is going to be fun."

"We have to wait till I find what I looking for and deposit it at Cassandra's feet. Speaking of which something draw my concerns."

"What's that, Lauri?"

"I don't think Cassandra choose me for this on a whim. No one could know my past. None of my files been touched but me unless you borrowed or copied them. We the only ones have the keys to my files, cargo and pay chests. How did I wind up doing the things everyone else try to push me into? Cyr it seems like the university is grooming me for something. That worries me. I'm a ship captain first. Always been and a mage second. Cassandra got me into this mess but later when I went to get the gnomish glove from the university vault something sparked me interest.

Instead of someone going to the vault and getting me the item. Master Cresquas showed up and showed me the vault directly. Even more he showed me all the defenses. It concerned me because I am only an apprentice and low-level enforcer for the university. So, I asked him directly if the masters were grooming me for something.

Cyr, he completely avoided the question."

Cyr takes a deep breath and thinks before answering, " It is concerning, Captain. I would dare say that the University does not care what a mage or sorcerer’s proclivities are as they go up the ladder of rank. Just be careful. Wish I could watch over you but you a much better adventurer than I. Someone has to run the ship while you making back the cargo funds and working to get us back home. And that the most important."

"Aye, agreed. My first responsibility is to the crew and to keep the crew safe. I'll get you home. I got good news on that front. I found a village seem out of phase with time. I and a small group were able to speak with them and the inventor of the machine that phases them in and out. He will let me study it. May even be able to make a contract to ship them a few hundred tons of supplies a year if they be interested. If I can figure out the machine, I believe I can fit together the last pieces of concept to my own machine."

"That is good news, Lauri. We getting closer now, seems."

"Aye. You best get out while I teach Elenuta. I got me two hours with her before getting some rest. It's nothing shameful or anything like that. I just want her to be comfortable while I teach her to keep her eyes and chin up. To walk with meaning. To be able to stare down a man or another woman and socialize as an equal to others instead of a servant. It would embarrass her if anyone else in the room."

Cyr stands up and gives an ease salute, hand over his heart. "Am I relieved to do my duty captain?"
She also stands, recognizing him, "You are relieved, Lieutenant. Remember that we are of no import to the greater scheme."

"Yet we do our duty for the gods and get what goodness we can from life."

Lauri, smiles and Cyr does and about face and starts his shift. She cleans the table and stacks the dishes at the end for Elenuta to pick up, then waits for the girl to come to her class."
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

As Midnight approaches the men work around Lauriella while she and Cyr set up chairs in a large circle on the main deck. Arelush brings up bottles of wine and whiskey. A tun of beer is tapped. When all is done Lauriella sits down in one of the chairs. Cyr another. She motions Arelush to sit next to her. They wait quietly until all the men that want to come get themselves a drink and sit down.

Tonight, most of the day crew want to rest and some of the night crew take off down to midships to eat and get some sleep. There are only six others that sit down around the circle. Lauriella isn’t paying much attention. She is silently praying to her goddess. Arelush taps her on the shoulder which startles her a moment, “What’s going on, ma’am?”

Lauri looks around. She in standard issue working clothes as she is most nights of Selune’s reflection, “Let’s tighten the circle then I’ll tell you what this is all about.”

They move all their chairs to easily speak to one another and all look to Lauriella. “Most you know Arelush by now. She’s our cabin girl on temporary duty to see if she be fitting in with the crew. Most you know my rules about girls onboard. She wearing a belt and it up to her if she want to be seeing anyone on the crew. Don’t want to be hearing about any misdeeds especially in our situation.

I give everyone the ability to go to Southbank in threes and so far, it be working out. You all need some R&R and we officers all understand that. I hate we have to be cooped up on the Moonflower so much meself but it is what it is.”

She turns to Arelush, “Every new moon we participate in Selune’s reflection. A lot of the crew worship Selune as a patron. I and Cyr worship Sehanine but Sehanine far as we concerned is just the elven aspect of Selune or vice versa. We give thanks to both and give both their due. I do not know who you patron is or if you have one, Arelush. I will not ask you now. If you work out and want to continue to work with us after your trial period, then I will ask. Not one man on this ship has an evil patron and long as I own her there never will be, Besiden, If Cry and I know your patron we will make allowances for you to worship proper and give ye time to do so.

During reflection we sit quietly and drink, praise the goddess and tell stories, learn from each other and of each other, speak of our past experiences and general news. I also take any complaints or grips a crew member may be having. That’s the way of it.”

Before Arelush can respond another crew member speaks up, “What news captain?”

“That damn editor of the champion in Conch back from his vacation starting his shit again. I canna do anything in the here and now being I got a mission from the university that be sensitive.” Lauriella stops suddenly, sighs and twists her mouth in slight disapproval as another of the crew gives him several coins. He looks up to her and turns red, “I knew you would get into the shit again, Capt. You always do when you on land any amount of time.”

“I don’t know how these people find me or what about me catches their eye, but yes you’re right Douglas. Wish it were not so but I got to do what I got to do to get us back home, and don’t be scaring Arelush about the tales I told of the Obsidian order of Arabel or the Cerulean stars. Besiden, I only me records of me time in the Cerulean stars don’t remember any of it.

Where was I? Found out the lame god exists here. Met a girl by the name of Eliezra that worships him.”

One of the crew members shouts out, “Tell us all the sored details captain.”

Lauriella shakes her head, “Just because I put both oars in the water doesn’t mean I be looking for anyone. And yes, being married never stopped me before but this is different. Besiden, I’m getting to be an old woman. Mind you manners. Don’t even be buy’in a gigolo or whore neither. I’m fine.”

Half the crew laughs Lauri mutters, “I live with a bunch of juvenile delinquents.

Anyhow, Last thing I have to say is I solved me power problem with the device I draw up to get us back. There be a metal here that has no resistance to magic called Imodium or something to that effect but its magnetic. I have to mix it with another metal called Stallix in the right proportions I figure to connect the stones with the mythal. I’ll be studying with a dwarven mage in Covington to figure out the right mix and the magic gimbals I have to be creating. You see any Chronomancy spell uses a magical gyro to work. It’s how I figured out the time stop spell. You create within your mind a gyro to fix on the time you are at and create it magically. You really do naught stop time. You move yourself through time while everyone else seems to be suspended. When I looked at the dwarves machine it too is surrounded by magical circles that work like gimbals on a gyro. My theory is that these time gyros are necessary for any chronomancy spell.

I’m very close to creating the machine. Just have to go to a gnomish tinkerer to make the design and make sure I have enough ingots of those two metals. I have everything else. So, we much closer to getting everyone home.”

Lauri looks up at the stars a moment before continuing, “Gentlemen. Me and the Moonflower are staying here. When I send you home, I did not calculate space because it would be too complicated. You will find yerself on the great glacier. I want you to prepare well for the journey home. If the Moonflower is teleported there she’ll crack and break up under her own weight.

As for me. You all know me tale. For some reason it seem the gods have cursed me since I remember. In the here and now is the only time I have broken that curse. Me wife Christine and me husband Zard. They have each other. Here I may of some import to the empire though I’ll be making sure to leave no real footprints. Fact of the matter is to throw the controlling spell I have to be standing outside the harmonic field. So, I cannot return with you an any rate for I will not trust any other with a spell so sensitive to calculation of numbers. It just be the way it has to be anyway.”

The men are shocked. One stands up, “You sure about all this, Captain? What are we going to do without ye?”

“You follow Cyr to civilization. He will go home build another ship. Explain what happened to us to Christine and Zard. They will understand. From there you can sign on to another ship, retire, or stay with the company. Everyone in the company good people. You will make do and I will make sure you don’t go empty handed.”

Most of the men have their heads down now. Lauriella herself feels a bit of depression.

John Calandro, Lauri’s first mate stands, “We got time to change the captain’s mind men. You one of the best captains on the sea of fallen stars, Lauri. Ye should think it over maybe find a way to come with us. Now not be the time for sadness being it reflection. So, I’ll be telling the story how I met me wife.”

Lauriella relaxes and listens to her men’s stories while silently drinking her whiskey the rest of the night.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

After a restless morning, Lauriella gets up dresses in common clothing and goes to the galley. She sets a pot of tea on the stove. The cook grunts displeasingly as he works around her. It's near noon and men from day shift come in two or three at a time to eat. Some ask her questions or permission for shore leave she deals with each with respect and if she denies anything she gives them the reasons for doing so, calmly.

After the tea is ready, she takes the pot and sits down in one of the seats instead of taking it to her stateroom. Currently Cyr comes down for his lunch. He looks genuinely surprised to see her up and about. He sits down beside her after getting a plate and a cup of rum. "Anything wrong, captain Sithiir?"

"Nae, Cyr. nothing needs attention. Me memories just turning to darker things today. Figure some tea be the cure."

"I could give you something to add to the tea?"

"No, it will be ok. You know that girl mage come here a few times, Gabriella?"

"The red head right, Aye I seen her. Figured I leave whatever the two of you do private."

"Gods! not you too?" Lauri sighs, "She pretty enough but she so young. Besiden, I got too much to be thinking about now. I ask you about her cause I wonder you think she smart enough to read between lines?"

"Well on the first part, ma'am: You know we all know everyone here. We just as much family as any other. And we all know you're not the kind of woman that can stay alone very long. Zard and Christine lost to you even if you get us back. You need to find someone. And someone meaning that being someone to protect you. I know how vulnerable you really are, and most the crew suspect something cause they been with you long enough. Think about it, Capt. You need someone to partner up with when we gone.

On the second part: I don't know? Never talked to the lass. I know by dress she's a mage, so she has to be smart but reading between lines like a sailor or soldier getting sensitive information. I say it's a coin flip. If she's not experience and the words too indirect. I don't think she will."

Lauri sips her tea and considers his words. "I think I can make the letter clear enough for her but obtuse enough that no one else will and if anyone gets the letter, they will assume we talking about my time device."

Cyr smiles, "Well you’re the smart one. I just try to add my understanding of the whole to your ideas, and you didn't answer the first part of what I said."

"I do appreciate you incite, Cyr. Thank you. As for the other thing. That my business, and to tell truth I do'na have time for that sort of thing at the moment. Too many concerns on me mind. If I need a man or a woman I’ll go to the brothel in the upper district of Conch. They satisfy any of my needs at the moment."

"And yet you come out of trance because they lead you to all your past mistakes. Am I right?"

Lauriella looks over at her lieutenant, "Aye you right. Guilt is a powerful force. It follow you throughout you life. I made my mistakes some of them grievous. Sometime, I think it worse than hate or jealousy or other negative emotions. Those things they fade in time. You enemies they eventually die. But guilt? Guilt stays with you. It haunts you, even in trance.

Almost hung myself for a grievous mistake I made that could have cost 100s of souls. Priestess of Selune stopped me. Ended up giving her all my coin for the betterment of the local government. One of the things I remembered about this morn. I wanted to stay in that place, but I felt my sin so bad I should be banished from the place. So, I did on me own. I know it looked cowardly but, in my heart, I knew the nation would never forgive me. I had just lost Ava. Everything I put my finger on at the time turned to shit. I gave up Cyr and moved on."

"And then you built the Moonflower II and started the Silver Coin. It is an achievement."

"Didn't bring back Ava and didn't change my situation with Alluin."

"Think on it this way, Captain. You never lost a ship in the 200 years you been a captain and from what I recall few sailors died under your command in all that time. You've never had scurvy on your ship, and you've always been able to outmaneuver pirates and privateers." Cyr gets up and Pats her shoulder. "My advice to you, ma'am. Enjoy your tea. Write your letter and get some rest. I would like to be relieved at dusk proper."

"Aye, will do. and thank ye."

He smiles, "All in a day’s work." He leaves the galley for the wheel while she considers everything.

When she finishes the pot, she goes back to her cabin to her writing desk and begins a new letter.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella comes on ship after her own shore leave to see the moonflower out of position and Cyr going over a manifest. She walks over to him. He smiles, "sold all but the black power held for the kobolds. Picked up 80 ton of Hay and salted vegetables, bale weight, bound for Sanctuary. Five-day trip one way, Capt."

She stops and considers, "If ye sold the load then we can move out least for now."

"Sure you don't want your 10 share?"

"I picked up enough adventuring to build two more moonflowers, Nae Cyr. You and the men have a hard journey if I can get ye back and with the aging most will want to retire."

Cyr shakes his head, "Aye, Capt. Selune show her full face in two days."

"Aye. It getting cold that hay should fetch a good price maybe 20% on the coin. Is the load balanced? I don't want her listing, jumping or dragging."

Cyr just shakes his quill at her. She laughs, "Alright then. You have the ship Mr. Stafford. I will write and get some rest. You'll make a fine captain, Cyr.

"Thank you, Capt."

Lauriella goes past her stateroom and into her small bedroom where she sits at her writing desk and takes out an old journal.

Been a long year since I last wrote down my thoughts. What can I say? Finally had a fine life. A life of good hard work and profit and the gods or fate took a turn. I find myself in ancient Netheril trying to find a way to send my crew back to the future.

Either the magic of these lands or the gods have forgotten my curse. It is broken. I'm a ninth circle apprentice arcanist at the University of Nebular. All these centuries I have struggled and finally accepted my fate only to make 5th circle before something happening and losing it. Now look at me. Almost with the power of an archmage.

I must remember to ever be humble in the face of the gods for this last chance to be of some value. Still, there are so many problems. I and some companions are hunting mutant rats that could spell disaster for the empire at large. Even worse our liaison Arcanist Cassandra has me on a secret mission to secure the one who made the rats in the first place. Seems he is a member of the University or was. Such an evil villain that killed so many in his experimentations and I must overlook my sensibilities and bring him unharmed before her.

I do have a plan though instead of bringing him to her. I plan to bring him before the whole of the mage council instead and have him tried for what he has done to the citizenry and other sentient beings. That is if I can speak to Gabriella in private again. If not, I must follow my orders.

I do hate covert operations. Especially when they go against my proclivities and sentiments. Yet anywhere I set up on land for anytime the people who do these things catch me for just such operations. I thought it was all part of my curse, but it seems I just have that effect or look. I fear too that I am a doomed spy for all my companions will be aghast at my actions if i can find no other way out. To let such evil potentially be free is unconscionable to me. Perhaps I may find another way if I cannot speak to Gabby.

Mistari has a drow now in her household. She was parading him around just outside the wall. Mistari is an obvious follower of the Lady of Pain (Loviatar.) I try to avoid her when I may and I have too many challenges for her to even be considered most days but this drow male makes my skin itch. I told her to keep him away from me. Later on patrol with Jax I saw the drow again in the upper district. Considering Drow are monsters I would think he would be banned. I am still not sure if I should send a letter to the mage council on the existence of a drow in the upper district. They may or may not consider him a monster. I do but I'm only a lowly apprentice. However, I am in this rare moment unsure. There are too many things occupying my mind to worry about some moronic human girl that will be dead from age before I even consider retirement.

I found that is the best way to handle the few true enemies that I have had. Just outlive them. I will still consider on this voyage whether or not to send a letter to the mage council to clarify what a monster is and whether drow are considered monsters. If this drow steps out of line, I'll arrest him and bring him in. I doubt though he would be dumb enough to openly do something. They are an insidious race that work behind the scenes while keeping their own hands clean. At least the smart ones are.

I will soon go back to Covington to work with the Sorcerous Dwarf on understanding his phasing machine to help develop my own time machine. I believe the first business is to help the populace with their mine problem. That would be the best way to go about it. It puts good nature between Netheril and the people of Covington. Also have to invite and elder to show them how the world has changed so they have no fear of the Arcanists.

As laid out I have all the materials I need for my first device. I may be short the metal to connect the mythal shard with the positive and negative stones. Iodium has no resistance to magic but is magnetic. I cannot have any outside force disturbing the harmonic field of the time device. Stallix will temper the Iodium to a neutral magneticity but I must get the proportions of metal in the alloy correct. I will work with both the dwarf and a master tinkerer when I take the final drawing and material to the underground gnome village.

Other than that, I am for it seems like ages for the first time Lonely. The whores and gigolos at the black rose in the upper district no longer satisfy my needs for companionship. My husband, wife and the one I love will be unreachable until I stand in front of the gates of the moon. I see several potential good souls to be with but have not said or even clued in on anything yet. My men's needs must come first. Afterward perhaps I will retire and look for someone to share the later years of my life with.

That's all the thoughts I have now. Must get some rest before dusk and relieve my lieutenant. Cyr is a good elven. He will make a good Captain and I will give him more teachings until the time he leaves for home. With luck he will continue with the company as the captain of its ship. Everyone will be profitable and happy.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella is at the wheel when Cyr comes up from below. John is at the navigation table doing his best to navigate. Cyr comes over to the navigators table and relieves John. He gets several newly preset sextets out and measures the stars in several constellations. Looking at the current chart he does a double take, "How in the 9 hells we getting 20 knots?"

Lauriella smiles and holds up a book, "Look aft and learn something."

He looks back to see a large cloud following the ship then feels the strong wind. "An air elemental?"

"Aye Cyr. This be a book of air. With it I can summon a large one or several smaller ones."

"Shar's Tit!"

Lauriella looks over at him and thinks to herself 'Damn it Cyr we don't need that here.' "Watch what you be saying Cyr. We all swear and we all know it but that name isn't mentioned on this ship. Bad tidings it be liken calling on the storm queen."

"My apologies, Capt."

"Aye, We make the run in 5 days stead of 10 since we will always have wind at our backs."

"Ye save up any offensive or defensive spells?"

"Only a few, Cyr we making 20 knots. Nothing can catch us and Jax be patrolling giving us more room. I got me a question for ye though?"

"What is it, ma'am"

"There an Ilythiir living in Conch upper district. That lovitarian looks like she be retaining him. She was parading him around outside the wall and I caught him on me patrol of the city in the upper district. I pretty sure after the conversation we have he's part of her house now. Was going to go to the council about it but I figure all I have to do is wait for him to do something wrong then arrest him. What you say?"

She watches the surprise and disgusted reaction he has while he's thinking about it. When he answers it surprises her that she did not think about that first. " In the very least the Elders of Nualla'n need to be informed of the situation."

"Aye that in the least I should do. Thank you, lieutenant."

"Aye. I'm ready to take the wheel now got the heading what's the drift compensation?

"Drift not so bad 2 degrees 27 minutes every 1/2 hour to port. I believe we running a deep canyon or channel.

"Then I am ready. I relieve you captain."

She moves from the wheel, "I stand relieved, Mr. Stafford."

She rings the ship bell with two short bursts then a long ring then shouts out. YE GOT 1 HR TILL MIDSHIPS GENTLEMEN! THEN THE HATCHES AND DOORS BE LOCKED!"

She goes down to her stateroom. Arelush is there with her gown out. "It's beautiful. ma'am"

"It's sacred Arelush. It time for you to leave for a while. You'll have to stay with the men for a couple of hours. I'll belay my lessons tomorrow so you may have some extra sleep."

"Yes, ma'am." She turns to go to the galley when she suddenly spins around. "I received a letter from Auntie Cassandra Just before we left port."

Again, Lauriella looks surprised. She takes the letter out of Arelush's hands and immediately opens it. "Good, she would like to meet me. But now I'm in a fix."

The girl looks at her quizzically. Lauriella responds, "I want you to wash my necromancer robes before we make home port along with my head wrappings. also polish my necklace with Osiris's symbol engraved on it."

Arelush nods but Lauri sees a touch of fear in her eyes. "Most the tales of the necromancers in the guild of the tree of life larger than life Arelush. They make it so everyone else has a bit of fear in them. I'm not making temple or tomb guardians and most likely never will. Relax. Remember what I told you: Governments, Sacred and Secret Orders and Newspapers like to feed upon superstition."

Arelush puts her hand over her heart and bows slightly. Lauriella smiles, "Good, now off with you to the galley and make sure you stay there a few hours.

The young woman turns and walks quickly out the door. Lauriella goes to her writing desk and writes a letter to be sent as soon as she returns to Southbank. After that she dresses in her gown. Her eyes soften. Her lips twitch in anticipation. She walks back up on deck. The lanterns are set. The moonflowers are spread out on the deck. Cyr is at the wheel. She notices he has his harness on even though the waves are only 8 feet.

Lauriella spends her cantrips while walking to the middle of the ring of flowers. She lifts her arms up to the moon. At the stroke of midnight, she begins to dance.
CTP team member

Winterhawk99

Post by Winterhawk99 »

Lauriella comes on Deck after changing into her captain’s work uniform. Her men stop and salute her.
“Ok, WE HAVE A SHIPMENT TO MOVE. MAKE READY. LET’S GO! LIEUTENANT WITH ME!”

As She walks to take the stairs to midship she sees the Lieutenant and his first mate slap hands and her ears pick up the first mate’s words as Stafford hand him a small bag of coins, “Told ye, sir. We get our captain back this time.”

She groans and mutters, “I live with a bunch of overgrown juvenile delinquents!”

When she gets down to her room, she picks up the manifest and carefully goes over it. Stafford comes down, salutes, and stands at attention. She absently recognizes him stating, “At Ease.

“The 40 ton of cotton it in holds 1,2, 7 and 8?”

“Aye just like you taught. If it get wet the Moonflower may weight down so it has to be especially evened out in the holds.”

“Good!” She pauses a moment. Her brows crinkle. “Where the black powder for the kobalds”

“Still in hold 2”

She slaps her head, “Let me get this straight Mr. Stafford. You put 10 tons of cotton in the same hold as the black powder? That right?”

“Ummm?”

“So, if the powder blows It will not only blow a huge hole in my starboard bow it will light up a fire like never seen before on a ship?”

“The powder is dry, Ma’am. No sweating.”

“Not the point Mr. Stafford! Next time no flammables in a hold with an explosive. And if she blows and we survive. You personally are staying behind and helping build another ship. I’ll make you bend every board over the fire. And ye know damn well me tolerances on measurements.”

She watches Stafford’s pale moon elven face go a shade paler. “Won’t happen again Captain!” He gives her a stiff salute.

She just shakes her head and goes over the manifest again while speaking to him. “Elenuta needs to write a letter to her Auntie again. I also have to write a few letters to people before we shove off. The two of you will go to the art gallery and make it to look the young couple while I drop off my letters. Give it an hour and a half then I’ll be back on ship. Then drop off the letter get some street food near Apollos. Take your time and wander over to the tender after another hour or so.

Listen carefully. The two of you have to be especially careful. There is a new menace to the empire, and they live in shadow.” She looks around suspiciously to the corners of the room. I also want you to tell the men…. quietly…… that I will be doing inspection wile on this jaunt. They will look over every nook and cranny on the ship. If there is a stowaway, we got us a chance to catch them.”

“Did not think Mask was born yet?”

Lauri sighs and just shakes her head, “It does not matter. The good thing is shadow magic is young. And we all knows there’s another goddess that lives in shadow…….and if you say her name, I swear I’ll bust you in the teeth.”

“Yes, my superstitious, captain”

She shakes her fist at him and then sticks up a finger making a sign. He laughs, “Do not worry my intrepid woman. We are of no import to the greater scheme. There be no eyes upon us.”

“Just do it.”

“Aye”

She sits down at the head of the large entertaining table she has. He goes to the bar and sees a bottle of brandy half empty. Expensive Corymrian brandy. “Who you have with you? I did not see.”

“Talia a concubine to a local thug enforcer in the slum district. She needed council and so did Vyc. I helped them as best I could.”

“I understand you making deals with the local syndicates, so we left alone, Lauri, but counseling them?”

“I understand ye. Thing is there be some good in Vyc and he never harm me. I like to develop a person if I be seeing they want to take a different path and I know he do. He just locked in by whichever gang he belong too. Ortrik a different creature. He will never reform. So, I did my deal with him to leave us alone and that be it. Vyc though. Vyc different. By the way he a gnoll.

Stafford spits his brandy out. “How many gnolls you kill in your life?”

“To tell truth………Hundreds mayhap a thousand.”

“Strange times. What other things?”

“I have the last of the materials the Stallix to mix with the Iodium if that’s the way to go. When next we home port. I will clean out whatever is in the Covington mine and work with the dwarf on my blueprints, his machine and taking the chronomancy magic that’s effecting the men. We really close to our first experiment, Cyr. A little luck I can get you home by end of next year mayhap sooner.”

He sets down a brandy for her while sitting down and pouring another for himself. “I salute that, Capt. Its great news. I’ll send word out to the men.”

“Good. The rat problem is solved but these shadow hin are the new threat. They are made by the same miscreant that made the rats or he was involved.” She suddenly looks to the shadows. Nervous, she casts true seeing and inspects the stateroom. The next thing she does is to look back at Cyr making a hand signal to read her words.

“These shadow people they are not rats. They are more like us. Perhaps, just perhaps we could parley with them in due time. What this mage did to them is unconscionable as what he did to the people he kidnapped when he made the rats. Sometimes the diplomatic way is a better solution.”

He makes a ship sign, “See the rocks?”

She shakes her head.

“A good point, captain.”

“Thank you. It’s getting late. We must needs write our letters and weigh anchor. We don’t get paid until we make delivery and even with elementals it will be a 10 day go since there are two ports. Go to my desk. I’ll dictate to you.”

“Aye, Capt.”
CTP team member